Administration without a console
Citrix is working to improve the licensing experience in My Account on citrix.com. You can choose Manage Licenses to easily find, allocate, download, modify, return, hide, and unhide licenses. The legacy All Licensing Tools experience is still available for a limited time.
There are several administration procedures that you can do without using the Citrix Licensing Manager or the License Administration Console. We recommend that you use the appropriate console whenever possible. This article describes the procedures required if you are unable to use a console.
- Customer Success Services renewal files
- Delete license files
- Disable the domain name truncation on Windows
- Register the License Server with Citrix Cloud
You can use the licensing management tool on citrix.com to combine, install, reallocate, and redownload licenses. For more information, see Manage Licenses at citrix.com My Account.
Customer Success Services
After you download your Customer Success Services renewal license file from citrix.com, you must add it to your License Server. Copy the Customer Success Services renewal license files to the same directory as your existing license files and reread the license files. By default, this location is C:\Program Files\Citrix\Licensing\MyFiles on a 32-bit server and C:\Program Files (x86)\Citrix\Licensing\MyFiles on a 64-bit server. After you add the renewal license to your License Server, the license automatically unlocks any subsequent versions of the product released during the Customer Success Services period.
Renewing only part of your Customer Success Services membership:
If you run products from two different releases in your environment, and you are not purchasing Customer Success Services for all your licenses, we recommend that you separate the product licenses on two separate License Servers. For example, you have a mixed XenDesktop environment of versions 7.16 and 7.18. Customer Success Services is applied to the older product versions first.
You own 200 licenses for 7.16 and you renew your Customer Success Services membership for only 100 of those licenses. It is possible that connections to computers running 7.18 might consume those 100 renewal licenses, which are required for 7.16.
To separate your licenses (two different licenses on two different servers):
- Select a second server and install the License Server software.
- Go to citrix.com to reallocate your original licenses, and then reallocate the licenses into two new files. These original licenses are contained in your current license file on the original License Server.
- Allocate licenses to your first License Server for your 7.16 deployment.
- Allocate licenses to create another license file for the second License Server for your 7.18 deployment.
- Generate and download your Customer Success Services files and then copy them to the server to which you want them applied.
- Point all computers to the License Server running the version of the Citrix product you want them to use. For information about pointing your Citrix product server to the License Server, see your Citrix product’s administrator guide.
Delete license files
When you upgrade your edition (for example, Standard to Advanced, or Advanced to Premium) you receive new Citrix product licenses. You can allocate these licenses to one or many Citrix License Servers through license files created at citrix.com. Rescinded licenses must be deleted from License Servers within 90 days of new license purchase. Deleting the licenses enables:
- License asset management
- License compliance
- Delete unnecessary alerts from appearing in the management console
Considerations when deleting files:
- Incorrect removal of license files might inadvertently lower the total licenses available.
- Place any new license files on the License Server before deleting any licenses.
- Delete a license file only when all INCREMENT lines in the file are obsolete or unnecessary. For example, every increment line was replaced with a new license because of an upgrade.
- If you used the License Administration Console to add license files, you have to update the console UI for any deleted files.
Never delete the options file (citrix.opt) or startup license (citrix_startup.lic).
- At the License Server, open the Services panel and stop the Citrix Licensing service.
- Open the Windows Explorer and navigate to where the license files are stored. By default license files are stored in:
- C: \Program Files\Citrix\Licensing\MyFiles on a 32-bit server
- C: \Program Files(x86)\Citrix\Licensing\MyFiles on a 64-bit server
- Back up all license (.lic) files.
- Using a text editor (we recommend Microsoft WordPad), open each license (.lic) file and identify one or more obsolete license feature INCREMENT lines.
- Ensure that all increment lines are obsolete or unnecessary. See License file format for information about increment lines.
- Close the file and change the file name extension from .lic to .old.
- In the Services panel, restart the Citrix Licensing service.
Disable the domain name truncation
Editing the registry incorrectly can cause serious problems that might require you to reinstall your operating system. Citrix cannot guarantee that problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor can be solved. Use Registry Editor at your own risk. Be sure to back up the registry before you edit it.
When you host multiple domains and multiple users who have the same user name on different domains, you can leave the domain name truncation enabled. For example, email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have unique users on various domains, ensure that the License Server does not truncate @domain.com.
The License Server detects Citrix Service Provider licenses and enables this functionality.
Locate the registry key:
For 32-bit machines: HKLM\Software\citrix\licenseserver
For 64-bit machines: HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\citrix\licenseserver
Set the registry key to 1.
Data Description 0 The domain field is truncated. (default) 1 The domain field is not truncated.