Specify file size for recordings
As recordings grow in size, the files can take longer to download and react more slowly when you use the seek slider to navigate during playback. To control file size, specify a threshold limit for a file. When the recording reaches this limit, Session Recording closes the file and opens a new one to continue recording. This action is called a rollover.
Important: The rollover setting does not apply to VDI desktop sessions for XenDesktop 7.8 and Session Recording Agent. In those cases, each recording file has a maximum size of 1GB and activities are not recorded after the limit is reached.
You can specify two thresholds for a rollover:
- File size. When the file reaches the specified number of megabytes, Session Recording closes the file and opens a new one. By default, files roll over after reaching 50 megabytes; however, you can specify a limit from 10 megabytes to one gigabyte.
- Duration. After the session records for the specified number of hours, the file is closed and a new file is opened. By default, files roll over after recording for 12 hours; however, you can specify a limit from one to 24 hours.
Session Recording checks both fields to determine which event occurs first to determine when to roll over. For example, if you specify 17MB for the file size and six hours for the duration and the recording reaches 17MB in three hours, Session Recording reacts to the 17MB file size to close the file and open a new one.
To prevent the creation of many small files, Session Recording does not roll over until at least one hour elapses (this is the minimum number that you can enter) regardless of the value specified for the file size. The exception to this rule is if the file size surpasses one gigabyte.
Specify the maximum file size for recordings
- Log on to the computer hosting the Session Recording Server.
- From the Start menu, choose Session Recording Server Properties.
- In Session Recording Server Properties, click the Rollover tab.
- Enter an integer between 10 and 1,024 to specify the maximum file size in megabytes.
- Enter an integer between 1 and 24 to specify the maximum recording duration in hours.