About the MDX Toolkit
The Mobile Device Experience (MDX) Toolkit is an app container technology that enhances the mobile device experience and lets you prepare apps for secure deployment with Citrix Endpoint Management by adding the following information to the apps:
- The code required to support mobile app management tasks, such as provisioning, custom authentication, per-app revocation, data containment policies, data encryption, and per-app virtual private networking
- Signed security certificates
- Policy information and other Endpoint Management settings
The MDX Toolkit can securely wrap apps created within your organization or third-party mobile apps.
You use the Endpoint Management console to add your app to Endpoint Management. When you add the app, you can change the policy configuration, add app categories, apply workflows, and deploy apps to delivery groups.
To download Endpoint Management components, see the Download page on the Citrix website.
You can also wrap apps using our cloud tool, the MDX Service. For details, see MDX Service.
About app wrapping
You can wrap Android or iOS apps you obtain from app vendors. With public app store distribution, you do not sign and wrap Citrix-developed apps with the MDX Toolkit. This process significantly streamlines deploying apps. Since the Endpoint Management server already supports deploying apps from the public app store, no server update is required. However, you can use the MDX Toolkit to wrap third-party or enterprise apps. For more information on public app store distribution, see Enabling public app store distribution.
Independent Software Vendors (ISVs) can wrap apps they develop and then make them available in an app store or the Citrix mobile productivity app gallery. For details, see the MDX Developer Guide
The MDX Toolkit combines app files (.ipa, .app, or .apk) with Citrix components and your keystore or signing certificate to produce a wrapped MDX app.
The MDX Toolkit supports the following third-party frameworks tested and supported by Citrix to work with the MDX Toolkit:
- Android and iOS apps developed on the Xamarin platform.
Apps developed using Xamarin.forms framework is not supported.
- Apps developed by using the PhoneGap (Apache Cordova) framework
Other third-party frameworks, such as Swift, are not guaranteed to work unless explicitly stated.
The MDX Toolkit and XenMobile App SDK for iOS and Android includes the following tools:
- A macOS GUI tool that can wrap both iOS and Android apps.
- A macOS command-line tool that wraps iOS apps.
- A Java command-line tool that wraps Android apps.
- XenMobile App SDK: Third-party app developers can use the XenMobile App SDK to perform actions in wrapped apps based on Endpoint Management policies. For example, if an Endpoint Management policy prevents cut and copy in a mobile productivity app, a developer can prevent text selection in the app. For details, see the MDX Developer Guide.
The MDX Toolkit and XenMobile App SDK for iOS and Android
You can use the MDX Toolkit to wrap native, compiled, non-public custom apps for Android and iOS. These apps must be created using Objective-C on iOS and Java on Android.
For enterprise application wrapping, you start with an iOS application (.ipa) or an Android application (.apk). Be sure to acquire third-party applications directly from the application vendor. iOS applications downloaded from the Apple store are encrypted and cannot be wrapped.
The MDX Toolkit is not supported with Windows Phone.