Device collection properties are located on the following tabs:
|Name||The name of this device collection.|
|Description||Describes this device collection.|
|Template target device||To use the settings of an existing target device as the template to apply to all target devices that are added to this collection, select that device from the drop-down menu, then click OK.|
|Groups with Device Administrator access||Assign or unassign device administrators to this collection using Add or Remove. Device administrators can perform tasks on all device collections to which they have privileges.|
|Groups with Device Operator access||Assign or unassign device operators to this collection using Add or Remove. Device operators have the following privileges:Boot and reboot a target device, Shut down a target device, View target device properties, View vDisk properties for assigned target devices|
|Template target device||Displays the name of the target device, if a device was previously selected, or <No template device>, if a device was not selected. Use the drop-down menu to select a device to use as the template for adding new devices to this collection. To view a selected device’s properties, click Properties (read-only dialog appears).|
|Prefix||Enter a static prefix that helps identify all devices that are being added to this collection. For example: ‘Boston’ to indicate devices located in Boston. The prefix can be used in combination with the suffix, but is not required if a suffix is provided. The entire device name can have a maximum of 15 characters (the prefix length + number length + suffix length). For example, the following device names are considered valid: Boston000Floor2 (prefix, incrementing number length, and suffix provided; the maximum of 15 characters has been reached), Boston000 (no suffix is provided), 000Floor2 (no prefix is provided). The prefix cannot end with a digit. The prefix and suffix combination must be unique in each collection.|
|Number length||Enter the length of the incrementing number to associate with the devices being added to this collection. This number is incremented as each device is added. For example, if the number length is set to ‘3’, Provisioning Services starts naming at ‘001’ and stops naming or adding devices after the number reaches ‘999’.Enable the Zero fill option to automatically add the necessary number of preceeding zeros to a numbers length. For example, if the numbers length is equal to 3,than the first target device number would be assigned as ‘001’. Enable the Zero fill option to automatically add the necessary number of preceeding zeros to a numbers length. For example, if the numbers length is set to ‘4’, than the first target device number would be assigned as ‘0001’. The number length must have a minimum of three digits and a maximum of 9 digits.|
|Suffix||Enter a static suffix that helps to identify all devices being added to this collection. For example: Boston001Floor2 might be helpful to indicate the floor where these devices reside. The suffix can be used in combination with the prefix, but is not required if a prefix is provided. The entire device name can have a maximum of 15 characters (the prefix length + number length + suffix length). The suffix cannot start with a digit. The prefix and suffix combination must be unique in each collection.|
|Last incremental number||Indicates the last incremental number that was assigned to a device name in this collection. This number can be reset to ‘0’ but cannot be lower than the highest number for the same Prefix/Suffix combination.|
Creating a device collection
To create a new device collection:
- In the Console, right-click on the Device Collections folder where the new collection will exist, then select the Create device collection menu option. The Device Collection Properties dialog appears.
- On the General tab, type a name for this new device collection in the Name text box, and a description of this collection in the Description text box, then click the Security tab.
- Under the Device Administrators list, click Add. The Add Security Group dialog appears.
- To assign a group with the Device Administrator role, type or select the appropriate domain and group name in the text box, then click OK.
- Optionally, repeat steps 2 and 3 to continue assigning groups as device administrators.
- Under the Device Operators list, click Add. The Add Security Group dialog appears.
- To assign a group with the Device Operator role, type or select the appropriate domain and group name in the text box, then click OK.
- Optionally, repeat steps 2 and 3 to continue assigning groups as device operators.
- Click OK to close the dialog box.
Deleting a device collection
Deleting a device collection deletes any target device member records within the collection. The records can be recreated by manually adding them or using the Auto-add feature.
Deleting a target device also deletes that device from any views that it was associated with.
If target devices are members of collections within the same site, the members of one collection can be dragged and dropped to other collections, then the original collection can be deleted. If a device collection needs to be moved to a different site or that site becomes obsolete, you can use the export and import features to add the devices to a collection in another site, then the original collection can be deleted.
To delete a device collection:
- In the Console tree, right-click on the collection folder that you want to delete, then select the Delete menu option. A confirmation message appears.
- Click OK to delete this collection. The collection no longer displays in the Console tree.