Citrix recommends that you use the latest version of XenApp or XenDesktop on the server. Citrix continually enhances and improves performance with each release. Many performance features require the latest Receiver and server software to function.
If you are using a low-bandwidth connection, you can make a number of changes to your Receiver configuration and the way you use the Receiver to improve performance.
Change your configuration
On devices with limited processing power or in circumstances where only limited bandwidth is available, there is a trade-off between performance and functionality. Receiver enables you to choose an acceptable mixture of rich functionality and interactive performance. Making one or more of these changes on the server or in the client template file (icaclient.adm)can reduce the bandwidth a connection requires and improve performance:
- Enable SpeedScreen Latency Reduction. SpeedScreen Latency Reduction improves performance over high latency connections by providing instant feedback to the user in response to typed data or mouse clicks.
- Reduce the window size. Change the window size to the minimum size you can comfortably use.
- Reduce the number of colors. Reduce the number of colors to 256.
- Reduce sound quality. If Receiver audio mapping is enabled, reduce the sound quality to the minimum setting.
Change Receiver use
ICA technology is highly optimized and typically does not have high CPU and bandwidth requirements. However, if you are using a very low-bandwidth connection, the following tasks can impact performance:
- Accessing large files using client drive mapping. When you access a large file with client drive mapping, the file is transferred over the ICA connection. On slow connections, this may take a long time.
- Playing multimedia content. Playing multimedia content uses a lot of bandwidth and can cause reduced performance.