Keyboard layout and language bar
You can hide all or part of the Advanced Preferences sheet available from the Citrix Receiver icon in the notification area. For more information, see Hiding the Advanced Preferences sheet.
Keyboard layout synchronization enables users to switch among preferred keyboard layouts on the client device. This feature is disabled by default.
To enable keyboard layout synchronization:
From the Citrix Receiver for Windows notification area icon, select Advanced Preferences > Keyboard and Language bar. The Keyboard and Language bar window appears.
2. Click Save.
You can disable the feature by selecting No.
You can also enable and disable keyboard layout synchronization through the command line by running wfica32:exe /localime:on or wfica32:exe /localime:off from the Citrix Receiver for Windows installation folder (C:\program files (x86)\Citrix\ICA Client).
Using the local keyboard layout option activates the Client IME (Input Method Editor). If users working in Japanese, Chinese or Korean prefer to use the Server IME, they must disable the local keyboard layout option by selecting No, or running wfica32:exe /localime:off. The session will revert to the keyboard layout provided by the remote server when they connect to the next session.
Sometimes, switching the client keyboard layout does not take effect in an active session. To resolve this issue, log off from Citrix Receiver for Windows and login again.
- Remote applications which run with elevated privilege (for example, right click an application icon > Run as administrator) can’t be synchronized with the client keyboard layout. To work around this issue, manually change the keyboard layout on the server side (VDA) or disable UAC.
- If the user changes the keyboard layout on the client to a layout which is not supported on the server, then the keyboard layout synchronization feature will be disabled for security reasons - an unrecognized keyboard layout is treated as a potential security threat. To restore the keyboard layout synchronization feature, the user should log off and back on to the session.
- When RDP is deployed as an application and the user is working within an RDP session, it is not possible to change the keyboard layout using Alt + Shift shortcuts. To work around this, the user can use the language bar in the RDP session to switch the keyboard layout.
- This feature is disabled in Windows Server 2016 due to a third-party issue which may introduce performance risk. The feature can be enabled with a registry setting on the VDA: in HKLM\Software\Citrix\ICA\IcaIme, add a new key called DisableKeyboardSync and set the value to 0.
Starting with Version 4.11, you can choose to show or hide the remote language bar in an application session using the graphical user interface. The language bar displays the preferred input language in a session. In earlier releases, you might change this setting using only the registry keys on the VDA. Starting with Citrix Receiver for Windows Version 4.11, you can change the settings using the Advanced Preferences dialog in Citrix Receiver for Windows. The language bar appears in a session by default.
This feature is available in sessions running on VDA 7.17 and later.
Configure showing or hiding the remote language bar
- Right-click the Citrix Receiver for Windows icon from the notification area and select Advanced Preferences.
- Select Keyboard and Language bar.
- Select the Language bar tab.
Change the settings as required.
- The setting changes take effect immediately.
- You can change the settings in an active session.
- The remote language bar does not appear in a session if there is only one input language.
Hiding the language bar tab from the Advanced Preferences sheet
You can hide the language bar tab from the Advanced Preferences sheet by using the registry.
- Launch the registry editor.
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Citrix\ICA Client\Engine\Configuration\Advanced\Modules\LocalIME.
- Create a new DWORD value key, ToggleOffLanguageBarFeature, and set it to 1 to hide the Language bar option from the Advanced Preferences sheet.