Configure the agent
- The Workspace Environment Management agent cannot be installed on the infrastructure server.
- Do not install the Workspace Environment Management agent and administration console on the same machine.
- Agent configuration requires administrative access to your Active Directory.
- If you intend to assign resources published in Citrix StoreFront stores as application shortcuts in Workspace Environment Management from the administration console, ensure that Citrix Workspace app for Windows is installed on the administration console machine and on the agent host machine. For more information see System requirements.
To configure the agent, use the Workspace Environment Management Agent Host Configuration.adm or the Workspace Environment Management Agent Host Configuration.admx administrative template (provided with Workspace Environment Management).
Configure group policies
The administrative template adds the Agent Host Configuration policy. Use the Group Policy Management Editor to configure a GPO with the following settings:
Infrastructure server. The address of the Workspace Environment Management infrastructure server. It must be reachable exactly as typed from the user environment.
Agent service port. The default value is 8286. The agent service port must be the same as the port you configured for agent service port during infrastructure services configuration.
Cache synchronization port. The default value is 8285. The cache synchronization port must be the same as the port you configured for cache synchronization port during infrastructure services configuration.
VUEMAppCmd extra sync delay. The default value is 0. The delay interval in milliseconds for the agent application launcher (VUEMAppCmd.exe) to wait before Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops published resources are started. This ensures that the necessary agent work has completed first.
Deploy the agent
There is one agent service:
Norskale Agent Host Service (NT SERVICE\Norskale Agent Host Service) : Manages WEM Agent. Account: LocalSystem. Changing this account is not supported. The agent service requires “log on as a local system” permission.
You can run Citrix Workspace Environment Management Agent Setup in your user environment. The installer accepts standard InstallShield deployment switches. The agent installs into the following default directory:
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Norskale\Norskale Agent Host (on 64-bit OS)
- C:\Program Files\Norskale\Norskale Agent Host (on 32-bit OS)
The Citrix Workspace Environment Management Agent Setup executable acknowledges the custom arguments below.
To ensure that the WEM agent service starts before the Windows logon screen appears, use the following three arguments:
- WaitForNetwork. Lets you configure whether the WaitForNetwork registry key created during installation is active. Accepted values: 0, 1. If not specified, the key will not be created during installation. If you configure this argument, the agent host waits for the network to be completely initialized and available.
- SyncForegroundPolicy. Lets you configure whether the SyncForegroundPolicy registry key created during installation is active. Accepted values: 0, 1. If not specified, the key will not be created during installation. The SyncForegroundPolicy argument configures the agent host to wait for complete network initialization before allowing a user to log on.
- GpNetworkStartTimeoutPolicyValue. Lets you configure the value of the GpNetworkStartTimeoutPolicyValue registry key created during installation, in seconds. By default, this value is 30, but the argument accepts any whole number. This argument specifies how long Group Policy waits for network availability notifications during policy processing on logon.
All three keys are created under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon during the installation process, and are there to ensure that the user environment receives the infrastructure server address GPOs before logon. In network environments where the Active Directory or Domain Controller servers are slow to respond, this may lead to additional processing time prior to the login screen being displayed. Microsoft recommend setting the value of the GpNetworkStartTimeoutPolicyValue key to a minimum of 30 in order for it to have an impact.
AgentPort. The agent installer runs a script to open firewall ports locally, to make sure the agent network traffic is not blocked. This argument lets you configure which port is opened. If unspecified, the default port 8286 is used. Accepted values are any valid ports.
AgentSyncPort. The agent installer runs a script to open firewall ports locally, to make sure the agent network traffic is not blocked. This argument lets you configure which port is opened. If unspecified, the default port 8285 is used. Accepted values are any valid ports.
ServicesPipeTimeout. Lets you to configure the value of the ServicesPipeTimeout registry key, which is created during installation under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet. This registry key adds a delay before the service control manager is allowed to report on the state of the Workspace Environment Management agent service, which prevents the agent from failing because the agent service launched before the network was initialized. This argument accepts any value, in milliseconds. If unspecified, a default value of 60000 (60 seconds) is used.
CmdLineToolsDebug. If the value of this argument is 1, the setup executable displays all arguments passed to the agent installer in a separate cmd window that will pause the installation until dismissed.
ARPSYSTEMCOMPONENT. Lets you designate the agent as a system component, which prevents it from appearing in Add/Remove Programs. Accepted values: 0, 1.
AgentCacheAlternateLocation. Lets you specify the value of the associated registry setting that must be expressed as a valid file path. If configured, the agent local cache file is saved in the designated location, instead of in the agent installation directory.
The syntax for these install arguments is as follows:
"path:\\to\\Citrix Workspace Environment Management Agent Setup.exe" /v"argument=\\"value\\""
"C:\VUEM 4.04.00.00\Citrix Workspace Environment Management Agent Setup.exe" /v"WaitForNetwork=\"1\" GpNetworkStartTimeoutPolicyValue=\"45\""
Build the agent service cache
As an optional third step, or to build an image that includes the Workspace Environment Management Agent Host as pre-installed software, you can ensure that the agent service cache is built before the agent is run. (By default, the cache is built the first time the agent runs).
To create or rebuilds the agent Service cache, run the command line executable AgentCacheUtility.exe in the agent installation directory. The executable accepts the following command line arguments:
-help: displays a list of allowed arguments.
-refreshcache (or -r): triggers a cache build or refresh.