The CitrixReceiver.exe installation package can be installed in the following methods:
- By a user from Citrix.com or your own download site
- Automatically from Receiver for Web or from a Web Interface logon screen.
- A first-time user can set up an account by entering a server URL or downloading a provisioning (CR) file.
- Using an Electronic Software Distribution (ESD) tool
- A first-time user must enter a server URL or open a provisioning file to set up an account.
Citrix Receiver for Windows does not require administrator rights to install unless you are using pass-through authentication.
A single installer now combines the latest Citrix Receiver for Windows with the HDX RTME installer. When installing Citrix Receiver by using the executable file (.exe), the HDX RTME is installed as well.
If you have installed the HDX RealTime Media Engine, when you uninstall and then reinstall Citrix Receiver for Windows, ensure that you use the same mode that you used to install the HDX RTME.
Consider the following HDX RTME issues when installing or upgrading Citrix Receiver for Windows:
- The latest version of Citrix ReceiverPlusRTME contains HDX RTME; no further installation is required to install RTME.
- Upgrading from a previous Citrix Receiver for Windows version to the latest bundled version (Citrix Receiver with RTME) is supported. Previously installed versions of RTME are overwritten with the latest version; upgrading from the same Citrix Receiver for Windows version to the latest bundled version (for example, Receiver 4.7 to the bundled Receiver 4.7 plus RTME) is not supported.
- If you have an earlier version of RTME, installing the latest Citrix Receiver for Windows version automatically updates the RTME on the client device.
- If a more recent version of RTME is present, the installer retains the latest version.
For deployments with StoreFront:
- Best practice for BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) users is to configure the latest versions of NetScaler Gateway and StoreFront as described in the documentation for those products on the Product Documentation site. Attach the provisioning file created by StoreFront to an email and inform users how to upgrade and to open the provisioning file after installing Citrix Receiver for Windows.
- As an alternative to providing a provisioning file, inform users to enter the NetScaler Gateway URL. Or, if you configured email-based account discovery as described in the StoreFront documentation, inform users to enter their email address.
- Another method is to configure a Citrix Receiver for Web site as described in the StoreFront documentation and complete the configuration described in Deploy Citrix Receiver for Windows from Citrix Receiver for Web. Inform users how to upgrade Citrix Receiver for Windows, access the Citrix Receiver for Web site, and download the provisioning file from Citrix Receiver for Web (click the user name and click Activate).
For deployments with Web Interface
- Upgrade your Web Interface site with Citrix Receiver for Windows and complete the configuration described in Deploy Citrix Receiver for Windows from a Web Interface logon screen. Let your users know how to upgrade Citrix Receiver for Windows. You can, for example, create a download site where users can obtain the renamed Citrix Receiver installer.
Citrix Receiver for Windows 4.x can be used to upgrade Citrix Receiver for Windows 3.x as well as Citrix online plug-in 12.x.
If Citrix Receiver for Windows 3.x was installed per machine, a per-user upgrade (by a user without administrative privileges) is not supported.
If Citrix Receiver for Windows 3.x was installed per user, a per-machine upgrade is not supported.