What’s new in 2003
Workspace Environment Management 2003 includes the following new features. For information about bug fixes, see Fixed issues.
Citrix optimizer is now available in Workspace Environment Management (WEM). You can use the feature to optimize user environments for better performance. Citrix optimizer runs a quick scan of user environments and then applies template-based optimization recommendations. You can optimize user environments in two ways:
- You can use built-in templates to perform optimizations. To do so, select a template applicable to the operating system.
- Alternatively, you can create your own custom templates with specific optimizations you want and then add them to WEM.
For more information, see Citrix optimizer.
This release includes enhancements to the external task feature. The feature now provides you with two additional options to control when to run external tasks:
- Logoff. This option lets you specify whether to run external tasks when users log off.
- Reconnect. This option lets you specify whether to run external tasks when a user reconnects to a machine on which the agent is running. This option is not applicable to scenarios where the WEM agent is installed on a physical Windows device.
The logoff option can be useful in scenarios where you want to purge the user environment on logoff. For more information, see External Tasks.
Optimized action processing
Starting with this release, WEM supports processing actions without retrieving settings from the infrastructure services. There is a new “Use Cache to Accelerate Actions Processing” option on the Administration Console > Advanced Settings > Configuration > Agent Options tab. The option enables the WEM agent to process actions by using the agent local cache. As a result, the agent no longer needs to communicate with the infrastructure services when processing actions. For more information, see Agent Options.
Optimized logon performance
In earlier releases, WEM delayed user logons until the processing of user Group Policy settings completed. Starting with this release, WEM no longer delays logons, and user Group Policy settings are processed in the background by default. For information about configuring this behavior, see System settings.
Optimized file type associations
In previous releases, file type associations other than those for text (.txt) files did not work consistently. Starting with this release, file type associations that you configure become default associations automatically. This enhancement lets you more effectively manage user environments. In addition, you now have more flexibility in configuring file type associations. In the New File Association window, you no longer have to fill out the following fields: Action, Target application, and Command. You can leave the fields empty as long as you can provide the correct ProgID. For more information, see File Associations.
As of this release, you can use the Workspace Environment Management to configure all settings for Citrix Profile Management 2003. The following option is now available in the administration console:
- Enable multi-session write-back for FSLogix Profile Container (option to save changes in multi-session scenarios for FSLogix Profile Container)
The user interface of the administration console has changed:
- In System Optimization, there is a new Citrix Optimizer pane. In the pane, there is a Citrix Optimizer tab for configuring optimization-related settings.