Multi-type licensing supports consumption of different license types for Delivery Groups on a single XenApp or XenDesktop site. Type is a single combination of Product ID (XDT, MPS) and Model (UserDevice, Concurrent). The Delivery Groups must use the Product Edition set for the site.
If multi-type licensing is not configured, different license types can be used only when configured on entirely separate sites. The Delivery Groups use the site license.
To determine the Delivery Groups that consume the different types of licenses, use these Broker PowerShell cmdlets:
To install licenses, use:
- Citrix Studio
- Citrix Licensing Manager
- License Administration Console
Subscription Advantage dates are specific to each license file and to each product and model. Delivery Groups set differently might have different Subscription Advantage dates than each other.
Broker PowerShell SDK
The DesktopGroup object has these two properties you can manipulate using the associated New-BrokerDesktopGroup and Set-BrokerDesktopGroup cmdlets.
|LicenseModel||An enum (Concurrent or UserDevice) specifying the licensing model for the group.||If the feature toggle is disabled, attempting to set a property fails.|
|ProductCode||A text string of XDT (for XenDesktop) or MPS (for XenApp) specifying the licensing Product ID for the group.||If the feature toggle is disabled, attempting to set a property fails.|
Creates a desktop group for managing the brokering of groups of desktops. For more information on this cmdlet, see https://citrix.github.io/delivery-controller-sdk/Broker/New-BrokerDesktopGroup/.
Disables or enables an existing broker desktop group or alters its settings. For more information on this cmdlet, see https://citrix.github.io/delivery-controller-sdk/Broker/Set-BrokerDesktopGroup/
Retrieves desktop groups matching the specified criteria. The output of the Get-BrokerDesktopGroup cmdlet includes the ProductCode and LicenseModel properties of the group. If the properties have not been set using New- BrokerDesktopGroup or Set-BrokerDesktopGroup, null values are returned. If null, the site-wide license model and product code are used. For more information on this cmdlet, see https://citrix.github.io/delivery-controller-sdk/Broker/Get-BrokerDesktopGroup/.
Configure different license products and models per Delivery Group
- Open PowerShell with Administrative rights and add the Citrix snapin.
- Run the command Get-BrokerDesktopGroup –Name “DeliveryGroupName” to view the current license configuration. Find the parameters LicenseModel and ProductCode. If you haven’t configured these parameters before, they might be blank.
If a Delivery Group does not have license information set, apply the Site level Site license.
- To change the license model, run the command Set-BrokerDesktopGroup –Name “DeliveryGroupName” –LicenseModel LicenseModel.
- To change the license product, run the command Set-BrokerDesktopGroup –Name “DeliveryGroupName” –ProductCode ProductCode.
- Enter the command Get-BrokerDesktopGroup –Name “DeliveryGroupName” to validate the changes.
You cannot mix and match editions, for example, Premium and Advanced licenses.
- To remove the license configuration, run the same Set-BrokerDesktopGroup commands as described above and set the value to $null.
Studio doesn’t display the license configuration for each Delivery Group. Use PowerShell to view the current configuration.
This PowerShell cmdlet example illustrates setting multi-type licensing for two existing Delivery Groups and creates and sets a third Delivery Group.
To see the license product and license model associated with a Delivery Group, use the Get-BrokerDesktopGroup PowerShell cmdlet.
- We set the first Delivery Group for XenApp and Concurrent. Set-BrokerDesktopGroup -Name “Delivery Group for XenApp Platinum Concurrent” -ProductCode MPS -LicenseModel Concurrent
- We set the second Delivery Group for XenDesktop and Concurrent. Set-BrokerDesktopGroup -Name “Delivery Group for XenDesktop Platinum Concurrent” -ProductCode XDT -LicenseModel Concurrent
- We create and set the third Delivery Group for XenDesktop and UserDevice. New-BrokerDesktopGroup -Name “Delivery Group for XenDesktop Platinum UserDevice” -PublishedName “MyDesktop” -DesktopKind Private -ProductCode XDT -LicenseModel UserDevice
Multi-type licensing has different functionality than regular XenApp and XenDesktop licensing.
There are no alerts and notifications from Director or Studio:
- No information when nearing license limits or the trigger or expiry of the supplemental grace period.
- No notification when a specific group has a problem.