The CitrixReceiver.exe installation package can be installed in the following methods:
- By a user from Citrix.com or your own download site
- A first-time user who obtains Citrix Receiver for Windows from Citrix.com or your own download site can set up an account by entering an email address instead of a server URL. Citrix Receiver for Windows determines the NetScaler Gateway or StoreFront Server associated with the email address and prompts the user to log on and continue the installation. This feature is referred to as “email-based account discovery.” Note: A first-time user is one who does not have Citrix Receiver for Windows installed on the device.
- Email-based account discovery for a first-time user does not apply if Citrix Receiver for Windows is downloaded from a location other than Citrix.com (such as a Receiver for Web site).
- If your site requires configuration of Citrix Receiver for Windows, use an alternate deployment method.
- Automatically from Receiver for Web or from a Web Interface logon screen.
- A first-time user can set up an account by entering a server URL or downloading a provisioning (CR) file.
- Using an Electronic Software Distribution (ESD) tool
- A first-time user must enter a server URL or open a provisioning file to set up an account.
Citrix Receiver for Windows does not require administrator rights to install unless you are using pass-through authentication.
HDX RealTime Media Engine (RTME)
A single installer now combines the latest Citrix Receiver for Windows with the HDX RTME installer. When installing Citrix Receiver by using the executable file (.exe), the HDX RTME is installed as well.
If you have installed the HDX RealTime Media Engine, when you uninstall and then reinstall Citrix Receiver for Windows, ensure that you use the same mode that you used to install the HDX RTME.
Installing the latest version of Citrix Receiver with integrated RTME support requires administrative privileges on the host machine.
Consider the following HDX RTME issues when installing or upgrading Citrix Receiver for Windows:
- The latest version of Citrix ReceiverPlusRTME contains HDX RTME; no further installation is required to install RTME.
- Upgrading from a previous Citrix Receiver for Windows version to the latest bundled version (Citrix Receiver with RTME) is supported. Previously installed versions of RTME are overwritten with the latest version; upgrading from the same Citrix Receiver for Windows version to the latest bundled version (for example, Receiver 4.7 to the bundled Receiver 4.7 plus RTME) is not supported.
- If you have an earlier version of RTME, installing the latest Citrix Receiver for Windows version automatically updates the RTME on the client device.
- If a more recent version of RTME is present, the installer retains the latest version.
The HDX RealTime Connector on your XenApp/XenDesktop servers must be at least version 184.108.40.2067 for compatibility with the new RTME package; that is, you cannot use RTME 2.0 with the 1.8 RTME Connector.
Manual Upgrade to Citrix Receiver for Windows
For deployments with StoreFront:
- Best practice for BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) users is to configure the latest versions of NetScaler Gateway and StoreFront as described in the documentation for those products on the Product Documentation site. Attach the provisioning file created by StoreFront to an email and inform users how to upgrade and to open the provisioning file after installing Citrix Receiver for Windows.
- As an alternative to providing a provisioning file, inform users to enter the NetScaler Gateway URL. Or, if you configured email-based account discovery as described in the StoreFront documentation, inform users to enter their email address.
- Another method is to configure a Citrix Receiver for Web site as described in the StoreFront documentation and complete the configuration described in Deploy Citrix Receiver for Windows from Citrix Receiver for Web. Inform users how to upgrade Citrix Receiver for Windows, access the Citrix Receiver for Web site, and download the provisioning file from Citrix Receiver for Web (click the user name and click Activate).
For deployments with Web Interface
- Upgrade your Web Interface site with Citrix Receiver for Windows and complete the configuration described in Deploy Citrix Receiver for Windows from a Web Interface logon screen. Let your users know how to upgrade Citrix Receiver for Windows. You can, for example, create a download site where users can obtain the renamed Citrix Receiver installer.
Considerations when upgrading
Citrix Receiver for Windows 4.x can be used to upgrade Citrix Receiver for Windows 3.x as well as Citrix online plug-in 12.x.
If Citrix Receiver for Windows 3.x was installed per machine, a per-user upgrade (by a user without administrative privileges) is not supported.
If Citrix Receiver for Windows 3.x was installed per user, a per-machine upgrade is not supported.