Add a VMware vSphere resource location
Important: The features in this topic have been deprecated and are no longer available in Smart Tools. This topic will be removed at a later time. For more information, see What’s New in Citrix Smart Tools.
A resource location is an instance of a virtualization platform, a private cloud, or a public cloud where blueprints are deployed. Before you deploy blueprints to your VMware vSphere instance, you must first add it to Smart Tools as a resource location. Smart Tools supports resource locations using VMware vSphere 5.5.
If your VMware vSphere instance is behind a firewall, you need to deploy a server within the instance to act as a connector between Smart Tools and VMware vSphere. You install the Citrix Smart Tools Agent on this server to enable Smart Tools to communicate with your vSphere instance.
For more information about using connectors and the Citrix Smart Tools Agent, see About agents in Smart Tools.
To add a VMware vSphere resource location
- From the home page, click Resources & Settings.
- On the Resource Locations page, click Add Resource Location.
- Select the VMware vSphere resource location type and then click Next.
- If applicable, on the Select a connector for VMware vSphere page, select one of the following options:
- Use existing machine that has Smart Tools Agent on it. Select this option if you have already installed the agent on a machine in your vSphere instance and you want to designate it as the connector. Click Next and proceed to Step 7.
- Prepare a new connector. Select this option if you have not yet installed the agent on the machine you want to designate as the connector. Click Next and proceed to Step 5.
- To install the agent on the machine you want to designate the connector, perform the following actions:
- Select the operating system for your machine and click Download agent. When prompted, save the agent package to the machine or to a location that the machine can access.
- Locate the agent package you downloaded and install it. The installation procedure varies between operating systems. For detailed information on installing the agent in different operating systems, see Install or remove the Smart Tools Agent. After the agent is installed, it registers the server with Smart Tools. The registration process is not immediate and might take a few minutes. Once the server registration is complete, you will receive an email notification to your registered email account. After registration, you can continue setting up your resource location.
- After registration is complete, click Next. The VMware vSphere setup page appears.
- In the Machines with Agent Installed box, select the registered machine and click Use Selected Machine as Connector. Smart Tools installs additional software on the machine to designate it as a connector.
- On the VMware vSphere setup page, enter the details for your resource location such as Name, Server address, Username, and Password. In the Server address box, enter the URL of the ESX or vCenter host as
- Click Add. Citrix Smart Tools verifies the instance details you provided and adds the resource location to your account.
- Click Done to return to the Resource Location page. Your vSphere instance appears in the list on the Resource Locations page.