Cloud Connector Installation
During installation, the Cloud Connector requires access to the cloud to authenticate the user performing the installation, validate the installer’s permission(s), and download and configure the services the Cloud Connector provides. The installation occurs with the privileges of the user who initiates the install.
Information to review before installation
- System requirements: To prepare the machines you’ll use for hosting the Cloud Connector.
- Antivirus Exclusions section of the Endpoint Security and Antivirus Best Practices Tech Zone article: Provides guidelines to help you determine the appropriate balance between security and performance for the Cloud Connectors in your environment. Citrix strongly recommends reviewing these guidelines with your organization’s antivirus and security teams and perform rigorous testing in a lab environment before applying them to a production environment.
- System and Connectivity Requirements: To ensure all machines hosting the Cloud Connector can communicate with Citrix Cloud.
- Cloud Connector Proxy and Firewall Configuration: If you’re installing the Cloud Connector in an environment that has a web proxy or strict firewall rules.
- Scale and size considerations for Cloud Connectors: Provides details of tested maximum capacities and best practice recommendations for configuring machines that will host the Cloud Connector.
Installation considerations and guidance
- Do not install the Cloud Connector on an Active Directory domain controller or any other machine critical to your resource location infrastructure. Regular maintenance on the Cloud Connector will perform machine operations that will cause an outage to these additional resources.
- Do not download or install other Citrix products on the machines hosting the Cloud Connector.
- Do not download or install the Cloud Connector on machines that are part of other Citrix product deployments (for example, Delivery Controllers in a Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops deployment).
- Do not upgrade a previously-installed Cloud Connector with a newer version. Instead, uninstall the old Cloud Connector and then install the new one.
- The Cloud Connector installer is downloaded from Citrix Cloud. So, your browser must allow downloading executable files.
- After installation, do not move the machine hosting the Cloud Connector into a different domain. If the machine needs to be joined to a different domain, uninstall the Cloud Connector and then re-install it after the machine is joined to the different domain.
- After installation, keep all Cloud Connectors powered on at all times to ensure an always-on connection to Citrix Cloud.
Considerations for cloned machines
Each machine hosting the Cloud Connector must have a unique SID and connector ID so that Citrix Cloud can communicate reliably with the machines in your resource location. If you intend to host the Cloud Connector on multiple machines in your resource location and you want to use cloned machines, perform the following steps:
- Prepare the machine template according to the requirements for your environment.
- Provision the number of machines that you intend to use as Cloud Connectors.
- Install the Cloud Connector on each machine, either manually or using the silent installation mode.
Installing the Cloud Connector on a machine template (before cloning) is not supported. If you clone a machine with the Cloud Connector installed, the Cloud Connector services will not run and the machine cannot connect to Citrix Cloud.
To create your first resource location
- Log on as an administrator to the machine where you will install the Cloud Connector. The machine should have Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows Server 2016, or Windows Server 2019 installed, be joined to a domain, and have outbound Internet access.
- Visit https://citrix.cloud.com and sign in with the credentials you received in the email from Citrix Cloud. The Citrix Cloud management console appears.
- From the menu button in the upper left corner, select Resource Locations.
- On the Resource Locations page, click Download to download the Cloud Connector software.
- Right-click the Cloud Connector installer and select Run as administrator. The installer performs an initial connectivity check to ensure you can connect to Citrix Cloud.
- When prompted, sign in to Citrix Cloud.
- Follow the wizard to install and configure the Cloud Connector. When the installation finishes, the installer performs a final connectivity check to verify Connector-to-Cloud communication.
- Repeat these steps on additional machines you want to use as Cloud Connectors.
After installation, Citrix Cloud registers your domain in Identity and Access Management. For more information, see Identity and access management.
Installation with multiple customers and existing resource locations
If you’re an administrator for multiple customer accounts, Citrix Cloud prompts you to select the customer account you want to associate with the Cloud Connector.
If your customer account has multiple resource locations already, Citrix Cloud prompts you to select the resource location you want to associate with the Cloud Connector.
Silent or automated installation is supported. However, using the same installer for repeated installations over a period of time is not recommended. Download a new Cloud Connector from the Resource Locations page in the Citrix Cloud console.
Use Start /Wait CWCConnector.exe /parameter:value in order to examine and potential error code in the case of a failure. This can be done using the standard mechanism of running echo %ErrorLevel% after the installation completes.
You can retrieve a list of supported parameters by running CWCConnector /?.
- /Customer: Required. The customer ID shown on the API Access page in the Citrix Cloud console (within Identity and Access Management).
- /ClientId: Required. The secure client ID an administrator can create, located on the API Access page.
- /ClientSecret: Required. The secure client secret that can be downloaded after the secure client is created. Located on the API Access page.
- /ResourceLocationId: Required. The unique identifier for an existing resource location. To retrieve the ID, click the ID button for the resource location on the Resource Locations page in the Citrix Cloud console. If no value is specified, Citrix Cloud uses the ID of the first resource location in the account.
- /AcceptTermsOfService: Required. Default value is Yes.
A sample command line with all required parameters:
CWCConnector.exe /q /Customer:*Customer* /ClientId:*ClientId* /ClientSecret:*ClientSecret* /ResourceLocationId:*ResourceLocationId* /AcceptTermsOfService:*true*
If you install the Cloud Connector software by double-clicking the installer, you might receive the following error message:
Can't reach this page.
This error can occur even if you are logged on as an administrator to the machine where you are installing the Cloud Connector. To avoid this error, you must run the Cloud Connector software as an administrator by right-clicking the installer and selecting Run as administrator.
Installation logs are located at %LOCALAPPDATA%\Temp\CitrixLogs\CloudServicesSetup.
Additionally, logs are added to %ProgramData%\Citrix\WorkspaceCloud\InstallLogs after installation.
- 1603 - An unexpected error occured.
- 2 - A prerequiste check failed.
- 0 - Installation completed successfully.