Deploy a blueprint using existing machines
Important: The features in this topic have been deprecated and are no longer available in Smart Tools. This topic will be removed at a later time. For more information, see What’s New in Citrix Smart Tools.
When deploying blueprints, Smart Tools can either provision and configure new machines or use existing machines that you specify. This topic describes how to deploy a Smart Tools blueprint using existing machines in your environment.
You might need to deploy blueprints with existing machines if:
- You want to use machines in a resource location that Smart Tools does not support such as Microsoft Azure Resource Manager or Nutanix Acropolis.
- You want to use a supported resource location such as AWS or Citrix XenServer, but don’t want to supply credentials or keys to Smart Tools.
- You want to use physical machines in your environment with a blueprint.
Install the Smart Tools Agent
Before you can use existing machines with Smart Tools, you must first install the Smart Tools Agent on each machine you want to use with the blueprint you want to deploy. The agent communicates with Smart Tools on port 443, enabling Smart Tools to locate and configure each machine during the blueprint deployment process. Ensure each machine hosting the agent has outbound communication on port 443 enabled.
To install the Smart Tools Agent
- Log on as an administrator user of the machine on which you want to install the agent.
- Log on to the Smart Tools web site using your account credentials.
- From the home page, click Resources & Settings.
- From the Resource Locations page, click Add Resource Location.
- Select Citrix XenServer and click Next. Selecting this option is required only to download the agent; not to specify your resource location.
- Select the machine operating system and bitness (32-bit or 64-bit), if applicable, and click Download Agent. When prompted, save the package.
- Locate the Smart Tools Agent package and launch the installation. During installation, the agent registers the machine with Smart Tools. This can take a few minutes. When the machine is successfully registered, a green check mark appears.
- Click Cancel to close the Add Resource Location dialog.
Deploy the blueprint
To use existing machines with a blueprint, the blueprint must include Server steps. These steps appear as machine tiers when you configure the blueprint deployment. For each machine tier, you specify an existing machine. When the blueprint is deployed, Smart Tools uses the specified machines as targets for the other steps in the blueprint, such as installing software or configuring a server role. For more information about Server steps, see the “Server Step” section of About blueprint steps
- From the menu bar, click Smart Build and then point to the blueprint you want to deploy.
- Under Actions, click Actions > Deploy. The blueprint description page appears.
- Click Start deployment setup. The Overview page appears.
- In Deployment Name, enter a friendly name for your deployment and click Next. The Resource Location page appears.
- In Resource Location, select All Existing Machines and then click Next.
- On the Architecture page, select any applicable deployment options and click Next.
- Review the Pre-deployment Checklist to ensure you have the information or resources that will be needed to configure and deploy the blueprint. Click Continue. For more information, see About the pre-deployment checklist.
On the Size page, perform the following actions:
- Select Use existing machines.
- In each machine tier, select a machine from the list. Repeat this step for all machine tiers in the blueprint. Click Next.
- On the Configuration page, enter the configuration parameters for the deployment. For more information about each parameter, click its Help icon. Click Next.
(Optional) Create a deployment profile:
- Enter a friendly name for the profile.
- (Optional) Enter a description.
- Click Save. If you do not want to create a profile, click Cancel.
- On the Summary page, review the options you’ve configured.
- Click Deploy.
After the deployment begins, Smart Tools displays the status of the deployment in the Deployment Details page. The Deployment Details page includes the real-time progress of each step in your blueprint. Depending on machine availability and the complexity of the blueprint, the deployment might take some time to complete, and some blueprint steps might take longer than others.