Rerun a blueprint step during a deployment error
Important: This topic describes deprecated functions and will be removed from the documentation. For more information about deprecated functions in Smart Tools, see What’s New in Citrix Smart Tools.
This feature allows you to rerun a section or tier of a blueprint during a deployment error based on the following conditions:
- The blueprint must be configured to pause on deployment error.
- You can resume the deployment from the current step. This functionality is supported for Script, Server, and Reboot steps.
You can resume the deployment from any previous step. This functionality is supported for Script and Reboot steps if the step is not configured to path a Server step or conditional evaluation.
- You can resume the deployment from the next step. This functionality is supported for Script , Server, and Reboot steps.
The following example demonstrates the rerun feature with a simple workflow.
Step 1: Create a blueprint
- From the menu bar, click Smart Build.
- Click New Blueprint.
- Enter the name of the blueprint.
- Click the Deploy tab.
- Under the Options tab, select Pause from the On failure box.
If the deployment fails due to any error in the blueprint, the deployment will pause and the Resume option will appear.
Step 2: Add and configure steps
Drag and drop the following steps in the specified order from the left pane of the Blueprint Designer (Cloud Steps and Utility Steps):
- Server step
- Wait step
- Manual step
- Wait step
- In each Wait Step instance, configure the Wait time setting to 30 seconds. The default is 180 seconds.
- Click Save to save the blueprint.
Step 3: Deploy the blueprint
- Click Deploy at the right side of the blueprint designer. Alternatively, you can deploy the blueprint from the Library page.
- Click Start Deployment setup and click Continue.
- Enter the deployment information and click Next.
- Review the number of VMs and click Next.
- Select the VM tier, configure the VM settings and click Next.
- Review the deployment configuration and click Next.
- Review the blueprint summary and click Deploy.
Step 4: View deployment information and rerun steps
In the Deployments page, click the deployment under the IN PROGRESS section.
- You can view the progress of the deployment under the Deployment Details tab.
The Server step, Wait step, and the Manual step run and the blueprint deployment pauses at the Manual step.
Select Resume > Select step to rerun and select one of the following options:
Option Description Retry paused step and resume Reruns the paused step and runs the subsequent steps Skip paused step and resume Skips the paused step and runs the subsequent steps Resume from previously executed step Lists the server and conditional steps you can rerun. Reruns the selected step and runs the subsequent steps
Based on the selected option, the deployment runs and finishes. In this example, we select the option Skip paused step and resume. The deployment is completed.
Rerun a Server step on failure
You can rerun a Server step on failure, if the Server step is configured in the blueprint to pause on failure.
- Select Resume > Select step to rerun after the deployment is paused.
- Select Retry paused step and resume. The Server step runs again and creates new VM instances. The number of VM instances created depends on the number of VM instances configured in the blueprint or during blueprint deployment. In case of a Server step failure, the blueprint deployment pauses and the Resume button appears.
Note: For each Server step rerun, new VM instances are created based on the blueprint configuration. Smart Tools does not tear down the VMs already created during Server step failure. You need to manually remove the VMs created during step failure on your resource location.