Install or remove the Citrix Smart Tools Agent
The Smart Tools Agent enables communication between Smart Tools and your Virtual Apps and Desktops Site. You can install the agent using the following methods:
- Installing through the XenApp and XenDesktop installation media (Version 7.14 through 7.18)
- Installing through the Virtual Apps and Desktops installation media (Version 7 1808 or later)
- Installing manually through the Add Site wizard in Smart Check or Smart Scale
To use Smart Check or Smart Scale with your Site, you must install the Smart Tools Agent on at least one Delivery Controller. For more information, refer to the following articles:
- Agent requirements: Smart Tools Agent and connectivity requirements
- Installation instructions: Add a Site to Smart Tools
Ensure high availability for the Smart Tools Agent
To ensure Smart Tools can update your Site without interruption, Citrix recommends installing the Smart Tools Agent on multiple Delivery Controllers in your Site.
When you install the Smart Tools Agent on multiple Delivery Controllers, Smart Tools designates one of the Smart Tools Agents as the “active” agent. The active agent monitors the site and coordinates the actions you specify. the Smart Tools Agents residing on the other Delivery Controllers are idle and do not perform any of these activities. However, if the active agent is not available, Smart Tools designates an agent on another Delivery Controller as “active” so monitoring, scaling, and health check tasks can continue.
To install the Smart Tools Agent on multiple Delivery Controllers
- From the Smart Tools management console, go to Smart Check or Smart Scale.
- From the Virtual Apps and Desktops Sites page, locate the Site you want to manage and click View (Smart Check) or View Site (Smart Scale).
- Click the Site Details tab and then locate the Delivery Controller where you want to install the agent.
- Click Install Agent. Smart Tools installs the agent on the selected Delivery Controller.
On the Site Details page, the Delivery Controller displays “Online” for the agent status. Additionally, the Delivery Controller displays “Available” to indicate the agent is available to be the active agent if the currently active agent is offline.
Upgrade the agent
If the Smart Tools Agent is experiencing issues and preventing other Smart Tools features from working correctly, Citrix might advise you to upgrade the agent if a newer version of the agent is available. Perform these steps on all Delivery Controllers that have the Agent installed. For a list of Delivery Controllers with the Smart Tools Agent, go to Smart Check (or Smart Scale), click View on the Site you want to manage, and then click Site Details.
- Log on as an administrator user to the Delivery Controller hosting the agent you want to upgrade.
- From a web browser, visit https://citrix.cloud.com and sign in to Citrix Cloud using your account credentials.
- From the Citrix Cloud management console, locate the Smart Tools tile and click Manage.
- From the Smart Tools management console, click Smart Check or Smart Scale.
- Click Add Site.
- Click Download agent and save the agent package.
- Click Cancel to close the Add Site wizard.
- Install the agent: Locate the CitrixSmartToolsAgent.exe file and double-click it to launch the installation. Click Run when prompted and accept the End User Licensing Agreement. Click Install. After installation, a message appears indicating the agent components have been updated.
Remove the agent
When you install the agent on a server, the agent registers with Smart Tools. This is the method by which Smart Tools becomes aware of servers that are available for management. When you remove the agent from a server, the agent signals Smart Tools to deregister the server and, therefore, to stop managing it.
- From the Control Panel, under Programs, click Uninstall a program. The Programs and Features list of applications appears.
- Select Citrix Smart Tools Agent and click Uninstall. When prompted to confirm, click Yes.
If you experience a problem with installing the Smart Tools Agent, the CitrixSmartToolsAgent.log file contains information that can help you troubleshoot the issue. This file is created during agent installation and is located in the same directory from which the installer is launched.
If removing the agent from your Windows server fails, ensure the Citrix Smart Tools service is stopped and then retry the removal.
If you continue to experience problems, you can contact Citrix Technical Support for troubleshooting assistance. The Citrix Support team might request a copy of the agent log files to determine the problem.
To share Smart Tools Agent log files
- Log in to the Delivery Controller that is unable to connect to Citrix Smart Tools.
- Open the Command Prompt window and navigate to the log file location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Citrix\LifecycleManagement
- Copy the agent log file to your local machine: copy connector.log log.txt
- Send the log.txt file to