Smart Tools Agent and connectivity requirements
This article is deprecated. For on-premises Sites, Smart Tools reached End of Life on May 31, 2019. Smart Check and Smart Scale features are no longer available for use with on-premises Sites. For Virtual Apps and Desktops service Sites, Smart Scale will no longer be available on July 31, 2019 and will be replaced by Autoscale. For more information about Smart Tools deprecation and alternatives, see the following articles:
The Smart Tools Agent is a lightweight software package that coordinates Smart Check and Smart Scale activities, collects metrics, and transmits logs. The agent enables Smart Tools to communicate with machines in a Virtual Apps and Desktops Site.
Smart Tools Agent requirements
The Smart Tools Agent is installed on one or more Delivery Controllers with one of the following operating systems:
- Windows Server 2012 R2
- Windows Server 2016
Delivery Controllers hosting the Smart Tools Agent must meet the following requirements:
- Supports PowerShell 3.0 (minimum).
- No previous versions of the Smart Tools Agents are installed.
The Smart Tools Agent is supported for use only on Delivery Controllers in an on-premises Virtual Apps and Desktops deployment. The agent is not supported for use on machines that host other Citrix product or cloud service components, such as Cloud Connectors.
For more information about installing the Smart Tools Agent, see Add a Site to Smart Tools.
The Citrix Smart Tools Agent requires access over port 443 (outbound HTTPS) across the Internet to the following domains:
Alternatively, you can allow access to the following public IP addresses:
- 18.104.22.168/24 subnet (or 22.214.171.124 to 126.96.36.199)
Important: Citrix recommends using the domains listed above as public IPs are subject to change. If you choose to use the public IP addresses instead, visit status.cloud.com and subscribe to Citrix Cloud notifications to stay informed of future updates to these IP addresses.
Ensure the machines hosting the Smart Tools Agent are able to resolve external DNS names. Communication between your server and Citrix Smart Tools occurs over port 443 (outbound HTTPS) only.
Ensure that the firewall allows SSL traffic from your servers to the Citrix Smart Tools domains over port 443 (outbound HTTPS).
If your resource location is behind a proxy, the Smart Tools Agent requires a pass-through connection to the proxy server. For more information about configuring proxy settings for the Smart Tools Agent, see Use the Citrix Smart Tools Agent behind a proxy.
The agent does not work with HTTPS proxy content inspection on the SSL session. If the proxy has content inspection, set up a rule on the proxy to pass traffic from the servers where the agent is installed.
If your Site’s Delivery Controllers are behind a proxy, you might need to configure proxy settings on each machine to ensure they can contact Smart Tools.
- Log on to the Delivery Controller using Administrator credentials.
- Add the proxy address and exceptions:
- Select Control Panel > Network and Internet > Internet Options.
- On the Connections tab, click LAN settings.
- Under Proxy server, select Use a proxy server for your LAN and enter the IP address and port of your proxy server.
- Click Advanced and, under Exceptions, enter the proxy’s internal IP address and DNS.
- Run PowerShell as an administrator and import the proxy settings:
netsh winhttp import proxy source=ie
- If you previously imported the proxy settings, reset the proxy and re-import the settings:
netsh winhttp reset proxy
netsh winhttp import proxy source=ie
- Verify the Bypass List correctly displays the exceptions you entered in Step 2.