NetScaler Gateway and XenMobile
When you configure NetScaler Gateway using XenMobile, you establish the authentication mechanism for remote device access to the internal network. This functionality enables apps on a mobile device to access corporate servers located in the intranet. XenMobile creates a micro VPN from the apps on the device to NetScaler Gateway.
You configure NetScaler Gateway for use with XenMobile Server by exporting a script from XenMobile that you run on NetScaler Gateway.
Prerequisites for using the NetScaler Gateway configuration script
- NetScaler (minimum version 11.0, Build 70.12).
- NetScaler IP address is configured and has connectivity to the LDAP server, unless LDAP is load balanced.
- NetScaler Subnet (SNIP) IP address is configured, has connectivity to the necessary back end servers, and has public network access over port 8443/TCP.
- DNS can resolve public domains.
- NetScaler is licensed with Platform/Universal or Trial licenses. For information, see https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX126049.
- A NetScaler Gateway SSL certificate is uploaded and installed on the NetScaler. For information see, https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX136023.
- XenMobile Server (minimum version 10.6).
- LDAP server is configured.
Configure authentication for remote device access to the internal network
In the XenMobile console, click the gear icon in the upper-right corner of the console. The Settings page appears.
Under Server, click NetScaler Gateway. The NetScaler Gateway page appears. In the following example, a NetScaler Gateway instance exists.
Configure these settings:
- Authentication: Select whether to enable authentication. The default is ON.
- Deliver user certificate for authentication: Select whether you want XenMobile to share the authentication certificate with Secure Hub so that the NetScaler Gateway handles client certificate authentication. The default is OFF.
- Credential Provider: In the list, click the credential provider to use. For more information, see Credential Providers.
Add a NetScaler Gateway instance
After you save the authentication settings, you add a NetScaler Gateway instance to XenMobile.
In the XenMobile console, click the gear icon in the upper-right corner of the console. The Settings page opens.
Under Server, click NetScaler Gateway. The NetScaler Gateway page appears.
Click Add. The Add New NetScaler Gateway page appears.
Configure these settings:
- Name: Type a name for the NetScaler Gateway instance.
- Alias: Optionally include an alias name for the NetScaler Gateway.
External URL: Type the publicly accessible URL for NetScaler Gateway. For example,
- Logon Type: Choose a logon type. Types include Domain only, Security token only, Domain and security token, Certificate, Certificate and domain, and Certificate and security token. The default setting for the Password Required field changes based on the Logon Type you select. The default is Domain only.
If you have multiple domains, use Certificate and domain. For more information about configuring multiple-domain authentication with XenMobile and NetScaler Gateway, see Configure authentication for multiple domains.
If you use Certificate and security token, some additional configuration is required on NetScaler Gateway to support Secure Hub. For information, see Configuring XenMobile for Certificate and Security Token Authentication.
For more information, see Authentication in the Deployment Handbook.
- Password Required: Select whether you want to require password authentication. The default varies based on the Logon Type chosen.
- Set as Default: Select whether to use this NetScaler Gateway as the default. The default is OFF.
- Export Configuration Script: Click the button to export a configuration bundle that you upload to NetScaler Gateway to configure it with XenMobile settings. For information, see “Configure an on-premises NetScaler Gateway for use with XenMobile Server” after these steps.
- Callback URL and Virtual IP: Save your settings before adding these fields. For information, see Add a callback URL and NetScaler Gateway VPN virtual IP in this article.
The new NetScaler Gateway is added and appears in the table. To edit or delete an instance, click the name in the list.
Configure NetScaler Gateway for use with XenMobile Server
To configure an on-premises NetScaler Gateway for use with XenMobile Server, you perform the following general steps, detailed in this article:
Download a script and related files from XenMobile Server. See the readme file provided with the script for the latest detailed instructions.
Verify that your environment meets the prerequisites.
Update the script for your environment.
Run the script on NetScaler.
Test the configuration.
The script configures these NetScaler Gateway settings required by XenMobile:
- NetScaler Gateway virtual servers needed for MDM and MAM
- Session policies for the NetScaler Gateway virtual servers
- XenMobile Server details
- Authentication Policies and Actions for the NSG virtual server. The script describes the LDAP configuration settings.
- Traffic actions and policies for the proxy server
- Clientless access profile
- Static local DNS record on NetScaler
- Other bindings: Service policy, CA certificate
The script doesn’t handle the following configuration:
- Exchange load balancing
- ShareFile load balancing
- ICA Proxy configuration
- SSL Offload
To download, update, and run the script
If you’re adding a NetScaler Gateway, click Export Configuration Script on the Add New NetScaler Gateway page.
Or, if you add a NetScaler Gateway instance and click Save before you export the script: Return to Settings > NetScaler Gateway, select the NetScaler, click Export Configuration Script, and then click Download.
After you click Export Configuration Script, XenMobile creates a .tar.gz script bundle. The script bundle includes:
- Readme file with detailed instructions
- Script that contains the NetScaler CLI commands used to configure the required components in NetScaler
- Public Root CA certificate and the Intermediate CA certificate of XenMobile Server (these certificates, for SSL offload, are not needed for the current release)
- Script that contains the NetScaler CLI commands used to remove the NetScaler configuration
Edit the script (NSGConfigBundle_CREATESCRIPT.txt) to replace all placeholders with details from your environment.
Run your edited script in the NetScaler bash shell, as described in the readme file included in the script bundle. For example:
/netscaler/nscli -U :<NetScaler Management Username>:<NetScaler Management Password> batch -f "/var/NSGConfigBundle_CREATESCRIPT.txt"
When the script completes, the following lines appear.
Test the configuration
Validate that the NetScaler Gateway Virtual Server shows a state of UP.
Validate that the Proxy Load Balancing Virtual Server shows a state of UP.
Open a web browser, connect to the NetScaler Gateway URL, and attempt to authenticate. If the authentication fails, this message appears: HTTP Status 404 - Not Found
Enroll a device and ensure it gets both MDM and MAM enrollment.
Add a callback URL and NetScaler Gateway VPN virtual IP
After adding the NetScaler Gateway instance, you can add a callback URL and specify a NetScaler Gateway virtual IP address. These settings are optional, but can be configured for extra security, especially when the XenMobile Server is in the DMZ.
In Settings > NetScaler Gateway, select the NetScaler Gateway and then click Edit.
In the table, click Add.
For Callback URL type the fully qualified domain name (FQDN). The callback URL verifies that a request originated from NetScaler Gateway.
Ensure that the callback URL resolves to an IP address that is reachable from XenMobile Server. The callback URL can be an external NetScaler Gateway URL or some other URL.
Type the NetScaler Gateway Virtual IP address and then click Save.
Configure authentication for multiple domains
If you have multiple XenMobile Server instances, such as for test, development, and production environments, you configure NetScaler Gateway for the additional environments manually. (You can use the NetScaler for XenMobile wizard only one time.)
NetScaler Gateway configuration
To configure NetScaler Gateway authentication policies and a session policy for a multi-domain environment:
- In the NetScaler Gateway configuration utility, on the Configuration tab, expand NetScaler Gateway > Policies > Authentication.
- In the navigation pane, click LDAP.
Click to edit the LDAP profile. Change the Server Logon Name Attribute to userPrincipalName or the attribute you want to use for searches. Make a note of the attribute that you specify. You must provide it when configuring LDAP settings in the XenMobile console.
- Repeat those steps for each LDAP policy. A separate LDAP policy is required for each domain.
- In the session policy bound to the NetScaler Gateway virtual server, navigate to Edit session profile > Published Applications. Make sure that Single Sign-On Domain is blank.
XenMobile Server configuration
To configure LDAP for a multi-domain XenMobile environment:
In the XenMobile console, go to Settings > LDAP and add or edit a directory.
Provide the information.
In Domain Alias, specify each domain to use for user authentication. Separate the domains with a comma and don’t use spaces between the domains. For example: domain1.com,domain2.com,domain3.com
Ensure that the User search by field matches the Server Logon Name Attribute specified in the NetScaler Gateway LDAP policy.
NetScaler Gateway and XenMobile
In this article
- Prerequisites for using the NetScaler Gateway configuration script
- Configure authentication for remote device access to the internal network
- Add a NetScaler Gateway instance
- Configure NetScaler Gateway for use with XenMobile Server
- Add a callback URL and NetScaler Gateway VPN virtual IP
- Configure authentication for multiple domains