Citrix StoreFront authenticates a connection to Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops, and VDI-in-a-Box, enumerating and aggregating available desktops and applications into stores that you can access using Citrix Workspace app.
In addition to the configuration summarized in this section, you must also configure Citrix Gateway to enable users to connect from outside the internal network (for example, users who connect from the Internet or from remote locations).
When you select the option to show all stores, you might see the old StoreFront user interface.
To configure StoreFront
Install and configure StoreFront as described in the StoreFront documentation. Citrix Workspace app requires an HTTPS connection. If the StoreFront server is configured for HTTP, a registry key must be set on the user device as described in Configure and install Workspace for Windows using command-line parameters under the ALLOWADDSTORE property description.
For administrators who need more control, Citrix provides a template you can use to create a download site for Citrix Workspace app for Windows.
Manage workspace control reconnect
Workspace control lets applications follow users as they move between devices. This enables, for example, clinicians in hospitals to move from workstation to workstation without having to restart their applications on each device. For Citrix Workspace app, you manage workspace control on client devices by modifying the registry. This can also be done for domain-joined client devices using Group Policy.
Editing the registry incorrectly can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Citrix cannot guarantee that problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor can be solved. Use the Registry Editor at your own risk. Be sure to back up the registry before you edit it.
Create WSCReconnectModeUser and modify the existing registry key WSCReconnectMode in the Master Desktop Image or in Citrix Virtual Apps server. The published desktop can change the behavior of the Citrix Workspace app.
WSCReconnectMode key settings for Citrix Workspace app:
- 0 = do not reconnect to any existing sessions
- 1 = reconnect on application launch
- 2 = reconnect on application refresh
- 3 = reconnect on application launch or refresh
- 4 = reconnect when Citrix Workspace interface opens
- 8 = reconnect on Windows log on
- 11 = combination of both 3 and 8
Disable workspace control for Citrix Workspace app
To disable workspace control, create the following key:
HKEY\_CURRENT\_USER\SOFTWARE\Citrix\\Dazzle for (32-bit)
Value data: 0
Modify the following key from the default value of 3 to zero
Value data: 0
Alternatively, you can set the REG_SZ value WSCReconnectAll to false if you do not want to create a new key.
Changing the status indicator timeout
You can change the amount of time the status indicator displays when a user is launching a session. To alter the time out period, create a REG_DWORD value SI INACTIVE MS in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Citrix\ICA CLIENT\Engine\. The REG_DWORD value can be set to 4 if you want the status indicator to disappear sooner.
Customizing location for application shortcut via CLI
Start menu integration and desktop shortcut only mode lets you bring published application shortcuts into the Windows Start menu and onto the desktop. Users do not have to subscribe to applications from the Citrix Workspace user interface. Start menu integration and desktop shortcut management provides a seamless desktop experience for groups of users, who need access to a core set of applications in a consistent way.
As a Citrix Workspace app administrator, use a command-line install flags, GPOs, account services, or registry settings to disable the usual “self-service” Citrix Workspace app interface and replace it with a pre-configured Start menu. The flag is called SelfServiceMode and is set to true by default. When the administrator sets the SelfServiceMode flag to false, the user no longer has access to the self-service Citrix Workspace app user interface. Instead, they can access subscribed apps from the Start menu and via desktop shortcuts - referred to here as a shortcut-only mode.
Users and administrators can use a number of registry settings to customize the way shortcuts are set up.
Working with shortcuts
- Users cannot remove apps. All apps are mandatory when working with the SelfServiceMode flag set to false (shortcut-only mode). If the user removes a shortcut icon from the desktop, the icon comes back when the user selects Refresh from the Citrix Workspace app system tray icon.
- Users can configure only one store. The Account and Preferences options are not available. This is to prevent the user from configuring additional stores. The administrator can give a user special privileges to add more than one account using the Group Policy Object template, or by manually adding a registry key ( HideEditStoresDialog) on the client machine. When the administrator gives a user this privilege, the user has a Preferences option in the system tray icon, where they can add and remove accounts.
- Users cannot remove apps using the Windows Control Panel.
- You can add desktop shortcuts via a customizable registry setting. Desktop shortcuts are not added by default. After you make any changes to the registry settings, restart the Citrix Workspace app.
- Shortcuts are created in the Start menu with a category path as the default, UseCategoryAsStartMenuPath.
Windows 8/8.1 and Windows 10 do not allow the creation of nested folders within the Start Menu. Applications will be displayed individually or under the root folder but not within Category sub folders defined with Citrix Virtual Apps.
- You can add a flag [/DESKTOPDIR=”Dir_name”] during installation to bring all shortcuts into a single folder. CategoryPath is supported for desktop shortcuts.
- Auto Re-install Modified Apps is a feature which can be enabled via the registry key AutoReInstallModifiedApps. When AutoReInstallModifiedApps is enabled, any changes to attributes of published apps and desktops on the server are reflected on the client machine. When AutoReInstallModifiedApps is disabled, apps and desktop attributes are not updated and shortcuts are not re-stored on refresh if deleted on the client. By default, this AutoReInstallModifiedApps is enabled. See Using registry keys to customize app shortcut locations.
Customizing location for application shortcut via Registry
- By default, registry keys use String format.
- You should make changes to registry keys before configuring a store. If at any time you or a user wants to customize the registry keys, you or the user must reset Citrix Workspace app, configure the registry keys, and then reconfigure the store.
Registry keys for 32-bit machines
Registry keys for 64-bit machines
Configuring shortcuts and reconnect options using graphical user interface
- Shortcuts can be set only for the subscribed applications and desktops.
- You can hide all or part of the Advanced Preferences sheet available from the Citrix Workspace app icon in the notification area. For more information, see Hiding the Advanced Preferences sheet.
- Log on to Citrix Workspace app.
Right click on the Citrix Workspace app icon in the notification area and click Advanced Preferences. The Advanced Preferences window appears.
Click Shortcuts and Reconnect.
The Application Display tab is displayed and by default, Show Applications in Start Menu option is selected.
- Specify the folder name. This moves all the subscribed apps to the specified folder in the Start menu. Applications can be added both to a new or existing folder in the Start menu. On enabling this feature, both existing and newly added applications get added to the specified folder.
- Select the checkbox Show Applications on Desktop under Desktop Options pane.
- Specify the folder name. This moves all the subscribed apps to the specified folder on your local desktop.
Select the checkbox Enable different path for Start Menu and Desktop under Category options. This creates the shortcuts and category folder for applications as defined in the application properties server. For ex, IT Apps, Finance Apps.
By default, Category as Start Menu Path option is selected.
- Select Category as Start Menu Path to display the subscribed apps and their category folder as defined in the application properties server in the Windows Start menu.
- Select Category as Desktop Path to display the subscribed apps and their category folder as defined in the application properties server on your local desktop.
- Click OK.
Configuring reconnect options using graphical user interface
You can hide all or part of the Advanced Preferences sheet available from the Citrix Workspace app icon in the notification area. For more information, see Hiding the Advanced Preferences sheet.
After logging on to the server, users can reconnect to all of their desktops or applications at any time. By default, Reconnect Options opens desktops or applications that are disconnected, plus any that are currently running on another client device. You can configure Reconnect Options to reconnect only those desktops or applications that the user disconnected from previously.
- Log on to Citrix Workspace app.
- Right-click on the Citrix Workspace app icon from the notification area and click Advanced Preferences. The Advanced Preferences window appears.
- Click Shortcuts and Reconnect.
Click Reconnect Options.
Select Enable for Workspace Control Support to allow the users to reconnect to all of their desktops or applications at any time.
Select Reconnect to all active and disconnected sessions to allow users to reconnect to both the active and disconnected sessions.
Select Reconnect to disconnected sessions only to allow users to reconnect only to the disconnected sessions.
Supported Reconnect Mode takes the value as set in the GPO. Users can modify this option by navigating to Administrative Templates > Citrix Components > Citrix Workspace > SelfService>Control when Workspace attempts to reconnect to existing sessions.
- Click OK.
To modify Reconnect Options using the registry editor, see Knowledge Center article CTX136339.
In this article
- To configure StoreFront
- Manage workspace control reconnect
- Disable workspace control for Citrix Workspace app
- Changing the status indicator timeout
- Customizing location for application shortcut via CLI
- Customizing location for application shortcut via Registry
- Configuring shortcuts and reconnect options using graphical user interface
- Configuring reconnect options using graphical user interface