Configuring vPrefer launch using the GPO administrative template
In earlier releases, you could specify that the instance of an app installed on the VDA (referred to as local instance in this document) must be launched in preference to the published application by setting the KEYWORDS:prefer=”application” attribute in Citrix Studio.
Starting with Version 4.11, in a double-hop scenario (where Citrix Workspace app is running on the VDA that is hosting your session), you can now control whether Citrix Workspace app launches the local instance of an application installed on the VDA (if available as a local app) in preference to launching a hosted instance of the application.
vPrefer is available on StoreFront Version 3.14 and Citrix Virtual Desktops 7.17 and later.
When you launch the application, Citrix Workspace app reads the resource data present on the StoreFront server and applies the settings based on the vprefer flag at the time of enumeration. Citrix Workspace app searches for the installation path of the application in the Windows registry on the VDA and, if present, launches the local instance of the application. Otherwise, a hosted instance of the application is launched. If you launch an application that is not installed on the VDA, the hosted application is launched. For more information on how the local launch is handled on StoreFront, see Control of local application launch on published desktops in StoreFront documentation.
If you do not want the local instance of the application to be launched on the VDA, set the LocalLaunchDisabled to True using the PowerShell on the Delivery Controller.
This feature helps to launch applications faster, thereby providing a better user experience. You can configure it by using the Group Policy Object (GPO) administrative template. By default, vPrefer is enabled only in a double-hop scenario.
When you upgrade or install Citrix Workspace app for the first time, add the latest template files to the local GPO. For more information on adding template files to the local GPO, see Configuring the Group Policy Object administrative template. In case of an upgrade, the existing settings are retained while importing the latest files.
- Open the Citrix Workspace app GPO administrative template by running gpedit.msc.
- Under the Computer Configuration node, go to Administrative Template > Citrix Component > Citrix Workspace > SelfService.
- Select the vPrefer policy.
- Select Enabled and from the Allow apps drop-down, select one of the following options:
- Allow all apps: This option launches the local instance of all apps on the VDA. Citrix Workspace app searches for the installed application (including the native Windows apps such as Notepad, Calculator, Wordpad, Command prompt) and launches the application on the VDA instead of the hosted app.
- Allow installed apps: This option launches the local instance of the installed app on the VDA. If the app is not installed on the VDA, it launches the hosted app. By default, Allow installed apps is selected when the vPrefer policy is set to Enabled. This option excludes the native Windows operating system applications such as Notepad, Calculator etc.
- Allow network apps: This option launches the instance of an app that is published on a shared network.
- Click Apply and OK.
- Restart the session for the changes to take effect.
- Workspace for Web does not support this feature.
For additional information on vPrefer feature, see the Knowledge Center article CTX232210.