Kiosk device policy
The Kiosk policy lets you restrict devices to Kiosk mode by limiting the apps that can run, as follows:
- For Samsung SAFE devices: You can specify that only a specific app or apps can be used. This policy is useful for corporate devices that are designed to run only a specific type or class of apps. This policy also lets you choose custom images for the device home screen and lock screen wallpapers for when the device is in Kiosk mode.
- For for dedicated Android Enterprise devices, which are also known as corporate owned single use (COSU) devices: You can allow apps and set lock task mode. By default, Secure Hub and Google Play services are allowed.
XenMobile does not control which part of the device locks in Kiosk mode. The device manages the Kiosk mode settings after you deploy the policy. To add or configure this policy, go to Configure > Device Policies. For more information, see Device policies.
To put a Samsung SAFE device into Kiosk mode
Enable the Samsung SAFE API key on the mobile device, as described in Samsung MDM license key device policies. This step lets you enable policies on Samsung SAFE devices.
Enable Firebase Cloud Messaging for Android devices, as described in Firebase Cloud Messaging. This step enables Android devices to connect back to XenMobile.
Add a Kiosk device policy, as described in the next section.
Assign those three device policies to the appropriate delivery groups. Consider whether you want to include other policies, such as App inventory, in those delivery groups.
To remove the devices from Kiosk mode, create a Kiosk device policy that has Kiosk mode set to Disable. Update the delivery groups to remove the Kiosk policy that enabled Kiosk mode and to add the Kiosk policy that disables Kiosk mode.
To add a Kiosk device policy
All apps that you specify for Kiosk mode must already be installed on the user devices.
Some options apply only to the Samsung Mobile Device Management (MDM) API 4.0 and later.
Samsung SAFE settings
- Kiosk mode: Click Enable or Disable. The default is Enable. When you click Disable, all the following options disappear.
- Launcher package: Citrix recommends that you leave this field blank unless you have developed an in-house launcher to enable users to open the Kiosk app or apps. If you use an in-house launcher, enter the full name of the launcher application package.
- Emergency phone number: Enter an optional phone number. Anyone can use this number to contact your company to find a lost device. Applies only to MDM 4.0 and later.
- Allow navigation bar: Select whether to let users see and use the navigation bar while in Kiosk mode. Applies only to MDM 4.0 and later. The default is On.
- Allow multi-window mode: Select whether to let users use multiple windows while in Kiosk mode. Applies only to MDM 4.0 and later. The default is On.
- Allow status bar: Select whether to let users see the status bar while in Kiosk mode. Applies only to MDM 4.0 and later. The default is On.
- Allow system bar: Select whether to let users see the system bar while in Kiosk mode. The default is On.
- Allow task manager: Select whether to let users see and use the task manager while in Kiosk mode. The default is On.
- Change Common SAFE passcode: This setting helps protect against inadvertent changes to the Common SAFE passcode field. When this setting is Off, you can’t change the Common SAFE passcode field. The default is Off.
- Common SAFE passcode: If you set a general passcode policy for all Samsung SAFE devices, enter that optional passcode in this field.
Define a home wallpaper: Select whether to use a custom image for the home screen while in Kiosk mode. The default is Off.
- Home image: When you enable Define a home wallpaper, select the image file by clicking Browse and navigating to the file location.
Define a lock wallpaper: Select whether to use a custom image for the lock screen while in Kiosk mode. The default is Off. Applies only to MDM 4.0 and later.
- Lock image: When you enable Define a lock wallpaper, select the image file by clicking Browse and navigating to the file location.
- Define a home wallpaper: Select whether to use a custom image for the home screen while in Kiosk mode. The default is Off.
Apps: For each app that you want to add to Kiosk mode, click Add and then do the following:
- New app to add: Enter the full name of the app to add. For example, com.android.calendar lets users use the Android calendar app.
- Click Save to add the app or click Cancel to cancel adding the app.
Android Enterprise settings
To allow an app, click Add. You can allow multiple apps. For more information, see Android Enterprise.
Apps to whitelist: Enter the package name of the app you want to allow or select the app from the list.
The XenMobile Server console includes the terms “blacklist” and “whitelist”. We are changing those terms in an upcoming release to “block list” and “allow list”.
- Click Add new to enter the package name of the app approved to show in the list.
- Select the existing app from the list. The list shows apps that are uploaded in XenMobile. By default, Secure Hub and Google Play services are allowed.
Lock task mode: Choose Allow to set the app to be pinned to the device screen when the user starts the app. Choose Deny to set the app not to be pinned. Default is Allow.
When an app is in lock task mode, the app is pinned to the device screen when the user opens it. No Home button appears and the Back button is disabled. The user exits the app using an action programmed into the app, such as signing out.