Alexa for Business
The Alexa for Business service of Amazon Web Services (AWS) lets you manage large numbers of Alexa-enabled devices for business uses, such as conference room assistance. Endpoint Management lets you configure and manage these devices in the Endpoint Management console. Endpoint Management doesn’t deploy policies directly to Alexa devices. Instead, Endpoint Management updates AWS services and AWS delivers the configurations to Alexa devices.
For information about using Alexa for Business, see the Alexa for Business Administration Guide.
Authenticate your AWS account to Endpoint Management
To get your AWS account credentials, log in to the AWS console and select My Security Credentials from the user menu.
- Select Users in the left panel.
Search for your user name and then select it.
In the Security Credentials tab, click Create access key to generate your access key ID and secret access key.
Download the access key ID and secret access key. Save or make a note of them.
- In the Endpoint Management console, click the gear icon to go to Settings.
Under Platforms, select Alexa for Business.
- Enter your access key ID and secret access key. Click Save.
Configure policies for Alexa for Business
Endpoint Management lets you configure:
- Room profiles of settings that you apply to rooms containing Alexa devices
- Rooms that represent the physical rooms that contain the devices
- Skill groups that you assign to rooms or devices
Note: In this release of Endpoint Management, some Alexa for Business configuration and management functionality is not available through the Endpoint Management console. In some cases, actions that appear to be available in the Endpoint Management console have no effect. You can’t set the default room profile, edit the skills in a skill group, or edit the skill groups assigned to rooms. Also, conferencing and calendar are not supported in this Endpoint Management release.
Configure room profiles
A room profile is a set of common configurations that can be applied to a collection of rooms that contain Alexa devices. You configure a room profile from the Endpoint Management console.
Note: In this release, you can add and delete room profiles. You can’t set the default room profile or edit room profiles after they have been added.
In the Endpoint Management console, select Configure > Alexa for Business > Room Profiles. The list of available room profiles appears.
- To add a room profile, click Add.
- Enter the room profile settings:
- Profile Name: Type the name of the profile.
- Address: Type the physical (street) address of the building where the rooms containing Alexa devices are.
- Time zone: Choose the time zone of the place.
- Wake Word: Choose the wake word that Alexa devices respond to.
- Temperature units: Select the units in which Alexa devices report the temperature.
- Distance Units: Select the units in which Alexa devices report the distance.
- Maximum Volume: Choose the maximum volume setting for Alexa.
- Device setup mode: Select whether the Alexa devices can be reconfigured by forcing them to the device setup mode.
- Outbound Calling: Enable or disable the outbound calling capability of Alexa devices.
- Address book: Set up the address book configuration for Alexa devices.
- Click Save.
The rooms you configure in the Endpoint Management console represent the physical conference rooms, meeting rooms, and other rooms in the building. While configuring a room, you associate an Alexa device for the room and add a skill groups to the device.
Note In this release, you can add and delete rooms. You can’t edit the room settings after rooms have been added.
- In the Endpoint Management console, select Configure > Alexa for Business > Rooms. The list of available rooms appears.
- To add a room, click Add.
- Enter these room settings:
- Room Name: Type the name of the conference room, meeting room, or other room.
- Room calendar email: Type the calendar email address of the room.
- Room Profile: Choose the name of the room profile configuration for the room.
- Click Next.
- To associate an Alexa device with the room, click Add.
- Select a device and click Add. The selected device appears in the Add Echo devices screen.
- Click Next. The Add skill groups screen appears.
- Select the skill groups you want to add to the devices.
- Click Add.
- Click Save.
Configure skill groups
Skill groups are collections of skills that can be applied to a room. You can create a skill group and then assign it to a room. Skills let you use an Alexa device to do things like start and end an online meeting or review a list of agenda items. You add them to your Alexa for Business configuration from the AWS console.
Note In this release, you can add skill groups, delete skill groups, add skills to a saved skill group, and assign skill groups to rooms. You can’t add skills to your list of available skills or delete skills from a skill group.
- In the Endpoint Management console, select Configure > Alexa for Business > Skill Group. The list of available skill groups appears.
- To add a skill group, click Add.
- Enter these skill group settings:
- Name: Type the name of the skill group.
- Description: Type a brief description of the skill group.
- Click Next. The Add skills screen appears.
Select the skills you want to include in the skill group.
- Select the room you want to assign the skill group to.
- Click Save.