Cloud Connector Installation
You can install the Cloud Connector software interactively or using silent or automated installation.
During installation, the Cloud Connector requires access to the cloud to authenticate the user performing the installation, validate the installer’s permission(s), and download and configure the services the Cloud Connector provides. The installation occurs with the privileges of the user who initiates the install.
- You can only install the Cloud Connector onto a domain-joined machine. If the machine is not joined to a domain, the Cloud Connector installer prevents the installation.
- The machine where you are installing the Cloud Connector must be in sync with UTC time.
- The Cloud Connector installer is downloaded from Citrix Cloud. So, your browser must allow downloading executable files.
- Turn off Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration (IE ESC). If this is turned on, the Cloud Connector might not be able to establish connectivity with Citrix Cloud.
- Ensure you’ve met the Internet Connectivity Requirements for all machines where you’ll install the Cloud Connector.
- If you’re installing the Cloud Connector in an environment that has a web proxy or strict firewall rules, see Cloud Connector Proxy and Firewall Configuration for requirements before continuing the installation.
- Keep all Cloud Connectors powered on at all times to ensure an always-on connection to Citrix Cloud.
- Do not install the Cloud Connector on an Active Directory domain controller or any other machine critical to your resource location infrastructure. Regular maintenance on the Cloud Connector will perform machine operations that will cause an outage to these additional resources.
- Do not download or install other Citrix products on the machines hosting the Cloud Connector.
- Do not download or install the Cloud Connector on machines that are part of other Citrix product deployments (for example, Delivery Controllers in a XenDesktop deployment).
- Do not upgrade a previously-installed Cloud Connector with a newer version. Instead, uninstall the old Cloud Connector and then install the new one.
- Citrix strongly recommends enabling Windows Update on all machines hosting the Cloud Connector.
- Citrix strongly recommends installing at least two (2) Cloud Connectors in each resource location. In general, the number of Cloud Connectors you should install is N+1, where N is the capacity needed to support the infrastructure within your resource location. This ensures the connection between Citrix Cloud and your resource location remains intact in the event any single Cloud Connector becomes unavailable.
- Each Active Directory forest you plan to use with Citrix Cloud should be reachable by two Cloud Connectors at all times.
- After installation, do not move the machine hosting the Cloud Connector into a different domain. If the machine needs to be joined to be a different domain, uninstall the Cloud Connector and then re-install it after the machine is joined to the different domain.
Considerations for cloned machines
Each machine hosting the Cloud Connector must have a unique SID and connector ID so that Citrix Cloud can communicate reliably with the machines in your resource location. If you intend to host the Cloud Connector on multiple machines in your resource location and you want to use cloned machines, perform the following steps:
- Prepare the machine template according to the requirements for your environment.
- Provision the number of machines that you intend to use as Cloud Connectors.
- Install the Cloud Connector on each machine, either manually or using the silent installation mode.
Installing the Cloud Connector on a machine template (before cloning) is not supported. If you clone a machine with the Cloud Connector installed, the Cloud Connector services will not run and the machine cannot connect to Citrix Cloud.
To create your first resource location
- Log on as an administrator to the machine where you will install the Cloud Connector. The machine should have Windows Server 2012 R2 or Windows Server 2016 installed, be joined to a domain, and have outbound Internet access.
- Visit https://citrix.cloud.com and log on with the credentials you received in the email from Citrix Cloud. The Citrix Cloud management console appears.
- From the menu button in the upper left corner, select Resource Locations.
- On the Resource Locations page, click Download. Citrix Cloud performs an initial connectivity check and prompts you for your Citrix Cloud administrator user name and password. Follow the wizard to install and configure the Cloud Connector. When the installation finishes, Citrix Cloud performs a final connectivity check to verify Connector-to-Cloud communication.
- Repeat Steps 1-4 on additional machines you want to use as Citrix Cloud Connectors.
After installation, Citrix Cloud registers your domain in Identity and Access Management. For more information, see Identity and access management.
Installation with multiple customers and existing resource locations
If you’re an administrator for multiple customer accounts, Citrix Cloud prompts you to select the customer account you want to associate with the Cloud Connector.
If your customer account has multiple resource locations already, Citrix Cloud prompts you to select the resource location you want to associate with the Cloud Connector.
Command-line installation (non-interactive)
Silent or automated installation is supported. However, using the same installer for repeated installations over a period of time is not recommended. Download a new Cloud Connector from the Resource Locations page in the Citrix Cloud console.
Use Start /Wait CWCConnector.exe /parameter:value in order to examine and potential error code in the case of a failure. This can be done using the standard mechanism of running echo %ErrorLevel% after the installation completes.
You can retrieve a list of supported parameters by running CWCConnector /?.
- /Customer: Required. The customer ID shown on the API Access page in the Citrix Cloud console (within Identity and Access Management).
- /ClientId: Required. The secure client ID an administrator can create, located on the API Access page.
- /ClientSecret: Required. The secure client secret that can be downloaded after the secure client is created. Located on the API Access page.
- /ResourceLocationId: Required. The unique identifier for an existing resource location. To retrieve the ID, click the ID button for the resource location on the Resource Locations page in the Citrix Cloud console. If no value is specified, Citrix Cloud uses the ID of the first resource location in the account.
- /AcceptTermsOfService: Required. Default value is Yes.
A sample command line with all required parameters:
CWCConnector.exe /q /Customer:*Customer* /ClientId:*ClientId* /ClientSecret:*ClientSecret* /ResourceLocationId:*ResourceLocationId* /AcceptTermsOfService:*true*
- 1603 - An unexpected error occured.
- 2 - A prerequiste check failed.
- 0 - Installation completed successfully.
Installation logs are located at %LOCALAPPDATA%\Temp\CitrixLogs\CloudServicesSetup.
Additionally, logs are added to %ProgramData%\Citrix\WorkspaceCloud\InstallLogs after installation.