Learn about product name changes here.
Citrix maintains all of the core Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops service components in your deployment, except VDAs.
To upgrade a VDA, download the installer (as you did when you originally installed it) and run it on the machine or image. You can use the installer’s graphical or command-line interface.
If you originally installed the VDA using
VDAWorkstationCoreSetup.exe, you will retain that configuration if you upgrade it with the latest version of the same installer. If you run
VDAWorkstationSetup.exe on that machine, you can enable the features that are not supported in the
VDAWorkstationCoreSetup.exe installer. (Keep in mind that some of those features might be enabled by default in the
VDAWorkstationSetup.exe installer.) Additionally, you will have the option to install Citrix Workspace app.
When upgrading a VDA to version 7.17 or a later supported version, a machine restart occurs during the upgrade process. This cannot be avoided. The upgrade resumes automatically after the restart (unless you specify
/noresume on the command line).
After you upgrade VDAs, update the master images and catalogs that use that VDA.
Earlier operating systems
For machines with OSs that are no longer supported for installation of the latest VDA (such as Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2), you have several options.
- Reimage the machine to a supported Windows version, and then install the new VDA.
- If reimaging the machine is not an option but you want to upgrade the OS, uninstall the VDA before upgrading the OS. Otherwise, the VDA will be in an unsupported state. Then, install the new VDA.
- If you want to continue to use machines with an OS that is no longer supported for VDA 7.16 or later, XenApp and XenDesktop 7.15 LTSR is the most current supported VDA version for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2.
- If the machine has version 7.15 LTSR installed (and you attempt to install a newer version), a message informs you that you’re using the latest supported version.
- If the machine has a version earlier than 7.15 LTSR installed, a message guides you to CTX139030 for information. You can download 7.15 LTSR VDAs from the Citrix web site.