Monitor licenses and active usage for cloud services
License and Usage in Citrix Cloud enables you to stay on top of license consumption for the cloud services you have purchased. Using the summary and detail reports, you can:
- View license availability and assignments at a glance
- View daily and monthly active usage trends for supported cloud services
- Drill down to see individual license assignment details and usage trends
- Export license usage data to CSV
To view licensing data for your cloud services, select License & Usage from the console menu.
License and Usage is available for the following cloud services:
- Virtual Apps and Desktops (User/Device licensing model)
- Endpoint Management
License and Usage is available for supported services in the US, EU, and Asia Pacific South regions only.
In general, users are assigned a license upon first use of the cloud service.
Virtual Apps and Desktops service
For the Virtual Apps and Desktops service, a license is assigned when a user launches an app or desktop for the first time.
For Endpoint Management, a license is assigned when a user enrolls a device. After a device is enrolled, the device periodically checks in with Citrix Cloud. Citrix Cloud then uses this “check-in pulse” to calculate monthly usage and helps administrators to remain aware of users’ most recent service usage.
First-time use occurs the first time a user enrolls a device or the first time a “check-in pulse” occurs for the device.
Licenses are assigned on a per-user basis. So, if two users enroll and use the same device, two licenses are assigned.
License & Usage summary and details
The License & Usage summary provides an at-a-glance view of the following information for each supported service:
- Percentage of total purchased licenses assigned. As the percentage approaches 100%, the percentage goes from green to yellow. If the percentage exceeds 100%, the percentage turns red.
- The ratio of assigned licenses to purchased licenses and the number of available licenses remaining.
- The time remaining before the cloud service subscription expires. If the subscription expires within the next 90 days, a warning message appears.
- Active usage statistics on a monthly and daily basis:
- Monthly active use refers to the number of unique users that have used the service in the last 30 days.
- Daily active use refers to the number of unique users that have used the service in the last 24 hours.
For a detailed view of your cloud service licenses, click View Usage Details. You can then see a breakdown of usage trends and individual users who are consuming cloud service licenses.
This breakdown shows you the following information:
- Total Licenses: Your total purchased licenses for the cloud service across all entitlements.
- Previously Assigned: The cloud service licenses that were already assigned at the beginning of each month. For example, if a user is assigned a license in July, that assignment is counted in the Previously Assigned number for August.
- Newly Assigned: The number of cloud service licenses that were assigned during each month. For example, a user who accesses the cloud service for the first time in July is assigned a license. This license is counted in the Newly Assigned number for July.
- Active Use: Daily and monthly active usage trends over the previous calendar month and calendar year, respectively.
The License Usage Details view also displays the following information:
- A list of the individual users who have assigned licenses
- The date when licenses were assigned
- Endpoint Management: The number of enrolled devices and the date of the last check-in for each user
To view the number of enrolled devices for a specific user, you can click the ellipsis button and select View Devices. Citrix Cloud displays a list of the enrolled devices for the user and the date of the last check-in for each device.
Release assigned licenses
In general, an assigned license is eligible for release if the user hasn’t used the cloud service for 30 consecutive days. On the License Usage Details page, the user list displays clickable ellipsis buttons for users with licenses eligible for release. The ellipsis button is inactive for users who have used the cloud service in the last 30 days. When a license is released, the number of remaining licenses increases and the number of assigned licenses decreases accordingly.
Virtual Apps and Desktops
For the Virtual Apps and Desktops service, you can release licenses for users who haven’t launched an app or a desktop in the last 30 days. After a user’s license is released, the user can acquire another license by logging in and using the cloud service.
For the Endpoint Management service, assigned licenses remain assigned regardless of activity.
To release assigned licenses
- On the License Usage Details page, scroll to the user list.
- To release a license for an individual user:
- Locate the user you want to manage.
- Click the ellipsis button and select Release User.
- To release multiple users in bulk:
- Click Release Users. A list appears, displaying all the users with licenses that can be released.
- Select the users you want to manage and click Continue.
- When prompted to confirm the release, click Release.
- Does Citrix prevent cloud service usage if assigned licenses exceed purchased licenses? No, Citrix does not prevent any service launches if you overuse your cloud license amount. License Usage provides information for understanding your cloud license usage, so Citrix expects that you will monitor your license assignments and stay within your purchased license amount. If, at any point, you believe that you are going to overuse your service, Citrix encourages you to contact your sales representative to discuss your licensing requirements.
- What licensing information is being captured? Currently, only license information associated with user logins is captured.