Monitor licenses and active usage for Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops service (User/Device)
Citrix Cloud assigns a license when a unique user or unique device launches an app or desktop for the first time.
The Licensing summary provides an at-a-glance view of the following information:
Percentage of total purchased licenses that have been assigned. As the percentage approaches 100%, the percentage goes from green to yellow. If the percentage exceeds 100%, the percentage turns red.
The quantity of total purchased licenses is the sum of licenses that have been purchased for Virtual Apps, Virtual Desktops, and Virtual Apps and Desktops services that use the User/Device licensing model.
- The ratio of assigned licenses to purchased licenses and the number of available licenses remaining.
- Active usage statistics on a monthly and daily basis:
- Monthly active use refers to the number of unique users or devices that have used the service in the last 30 days.
- Daily active use refers to the number of unique users or devices that have used the service in the last 24 hours.
- The time remaining before the cloud service subscription expires. If the subscription expires within the next 90 days, a warning message appears.
Calculating assigned licenses and active use
To accurately reflect the User/Device licensing model for the Virtual Apps and Desktops service, Citrix Cloud counts the number of unique users and unique devices that have used the service. To measure assigned licenses, Citrix Cloud uses the lesser of these counts. To measure active use, Citrix Cloud uses each count as the quantity of active users and active devices in a given period.
Example of calculating assigned licenses
If 100 unique users and 50 unique devices have used the service, Citrix Cloud uses the lesser number (50) to determine the number of assigned licenses. The percentage of licenses used and the number of available licenses are based on these 50 assigned licenses.
Example of calculating active use
If 10 unique users and 20 unique devices used the service in the last 30 days, Citrix Cloud determines that monthly active use consists of 10 active users and 20 active devices. Likewise, if 30 unique users and 15 unique devices were counted in the last 24 hours, Citrix Cloud determines that daily active use consists of 30 active users and 15 active devices.
Usage trends and license activity
For a detailed view of your licenses, click View Usage Details at the far right of summary. You can then see a breakdown of usage trends and individual users and devices that are consuming cloud service licenses.
The Usage Trends section displays this breakdown as a graph.
On the License Assignment graph, pointing to a bar for a specific month or day shows you the following information:
- Total Licenses: Your total purchased licenses for the cloud service across all entitlements.
- Assigned Users: The cumulative number of licenses assigned to users up to the current month.
- Assigned Devices: The cumulative number of licenses assigned to devices up to the current month. If this number seems particularly high for a given month, this could be the result of app or desktop launches occurring through a web browser. To lower this number, Citrix recommends using a locally-installed Workspace app.
- Newly Assigned: The number of new licenses that were assigned for each month. For example, a user accesses the cloud service for the first time in July and is assigned a license. This license is counted as “Newly Assigned” for the month of July.
- Released: The number of eligible licenses that were released during each month. For example, if 20 licenses were eligible for release and you released 10 of them in July, the number of released licenses shown for July is 10.
Select Active Use to view a graph of active users and devices over the previous calendar month and calendar year, respectively. Pointing to a specific point on the graph reveals the number of active users or devices and the usage percentage.
The License Activity section also displays the following information:
- A list of the individual users who have assigned licenses, including associated devices.
- A list of the devices that have assigned licenses, including associated users.
- The date when a license was assigned to the user or device.
Release assigned licenses
You can release licenses for users that haven’t launched an app or a desktop in the last 30 days. You can release licenses for devices if no apps or desktops have been launched from the device in the last 30 days. You can release multiple licenses in bulk or individually. (This differs from on-premises Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops deployments, where inactive licenses are released automatically after 90 days.)
When a license is released, the number of remaining licenses increases and the number of assigned licenses decreases accordingly. After a license is released, the user can acquire another license by logging in and using the cloud service.
To release multiple assigned licenses
- Under License Activity, select Release Licenses.
- From the list, select the users you want to manage and select Continue to Devices.
- Select the devices you want to manage and select Continue to Release.
- Review the licenses you’ve selected and select Release Licenses.
To release a single assigned license
You can release individual licenses from the Licensed Users or Licensed Devices list. These lists display clickable ellipsis buttons only for users or devices with licenses that are eligible for release. The ellipsis button is inactive for individual users and individual devices that have launched any apps or desktops in the last 30 days.
- Under License Activity, select the Licensed Users or Licensed Devices tab.
- Locate the user or device you want to manage and release the license:
- To release a single user’s license, click the ellipsis button and select Release User.
- To release a single device, click the ellipsis button and select Release Device.
- Review your selection and then select Continue.
- When prompted to confirm the release, select Release.