Monitor licenses and active usage for Citrix DaaS (User/Device)
Citrix DaaS was formerly Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops service. Some displays might contain the former name.
This article describes how you can manage cloud service license assignments and monitor active usage using the Licensing console in Citrix Cloud.
If you purchased Citrix Azure Consumption Fund to use with your service deployment, see Monitor Citrix Managed Azure resource consumption for Citrix DaaS for more information.
Citrix Cloud assigns a license when a unique user or unique device launches an app or desktop for the first time.
The Licensing summary provides an at-a-glance view of the following information:
Percentage of total purchased licenses that have been assigned. As the percentage approaches 100%, the percentage goes from green to yellow. If the percentage exceeds 100%, the percentage turns red.
The quantity of total purchased licenses is the sum of licenses that have been purchased for Citrix DaaS editions that use the User/Device licensing model.
- The ratio of assigned licenses to purchased licenses and the number of available licenses remaining.
- Active usage statistics on a monthly and daily basis:
- Monthly active use refers to the number of unique users or devices that have used the service in the last 30 days.
- Daily active use refers to the number of unique users or devices that have used the service in the last 24 hours.
- The time remaining before the cloud service subscription expires. If the subscription expires within the next 90 days, a warning message appears.
Calculating assigned licenses and active use
To accurately reflect the User/Device licensing model for Citrix DaaS, Citrix Cloud counts the number of unique users and unique devices that have used the service. To measure assigned licenses, Citrix Cloud uses the lesser of these counts. To measure active use, Citrix Cloud uses each count as the quantity of active users and active devices in a given period.
Example of calculating assigned licenses
If 100 unique users and 50 unique devices have used the service, Citrix Cloud uses the lesser number (50) to determine the number of assigned licenses. The percentage of licenses used and the number of available licenses are based on these 50 assigned licenses.
Example of calculating active use
If 10 unique users and 20 unique devices used the service in the last 30 days, Citrix Cloud determines that monthly active use consists of 10 active users and 20 active devices. Likewise, if 30 unique users and 15 unique devices were counted in the last 24 hours, Citrix Cloud determines that daily active use consists of 30 active users and 15 active devices.
For a detailed view of your licenses, click View Usage Details at the far right of summary. You can then see a breakdown of usage trends and individual users and devices that are consuming cloud service licenses.
The Usage Trends section displays this breakdown as a graph.
On the License Assignment graph, pointing to a bar for a specific month or day shows you the following information:
- Total Licenses: Your total purchased licenses for the cloud service across all entitlements.
- Assigned Users: The cumulative number of licenses assigned to users up to the current month.
- Assigned Devices: The cumulative number of licenses assigned to devices up to the current month. If this number seems particularly high for a given month, this could be the result of app or desktop launches occurring through a web browser. To lower this number, Citrix recommends using a locally-installed Workspace app.
- Newly Assigned: The number of new licenses that were assigned for each month. For example, a user accesses the cloud service for the first time in July and is assigned a license. This license is counted as “Newly Assigned” for the month of July.
- Released: The number of eligible licenses that were released during each month. For example, if 20 licenses were eligible for release and you released 10 of them in July, the number of released licenses shown for July is 10.
On the Active Use graph, you can view a graph of active users and devices over the previous calendar month and calendar year, respectively. Pointing to a specific point on the graph reveals the number of active users or devices and the usage percentage.
The License Activity section displays the following information:
- A list of the individual users who have assigned licenses, including associated devices.
- A list of the devices that have assigned licenses, including associated users.
- The date when a license was assigned to the user or device.
You can also filter the list to show only licenses that are eligible for release. See To release assigned licenses in this article.
Release assigned licenses
User licenses are eligible for release when users haven’t launched an app or a desktop in the last 30 days. Device licenses are eligible for release when devices haven’t been used to launch apps or desktops in the last 30 days.
You can release individual licenses from the Licensed Users or Licensed Devices list. Users and devices with licenses eligible for release display a dark gray checkbox that you can select. Users and devices that have launched any apps or desktops in the last 30 days display a light gray checkbox that is inactive.
If you purchased Citrix Azure Consumption Fund, release eligibility for assigned licenses might be different depending on the plan you purchased. For more information, see Monitor Citrix Managed Azure resource consumption for Citrix DaaS.
After a license is released, the user can acquire another license by logging in and using the cloud service.
Find eligible licenses
The list that appears in the License Activity section displays up to 100 assigned licenses at a time. If you have more than 100 licenses, use the page controls to move through the list.
To locate eligible licenses quickly, select Show only releasable licenses, next to the Release Licenses button. This action hides assigned licenses that aren’t yet eligible for release.
Select eligible licenses
Select the dark gray checkbox next to each license to select it for release. When you select a license from the list, the Release Licenses button becomes active.
You can also select all eligible licenses in a single operation. If you have 100 eligible licenses or fewer, simply select the checkbox next to Username in the list header row to select all eligible licenses.
If you have more than 100 eligible licenses:
- Select the checkbox next to Username in the list header row to select all eligible licenses that are displayed on the page.
Click Select all releasable licenses.
- To clear all selected licenses on all pages of the list, click Clear selection.
To release assigned licenses
- Under License Activity, select the Licensed Users or Licensed Devices tab.
- If needed, select Show releasable licenses to display only the users with licenses that are eligible for release.
- Select the users or devices you want to manage and then select Release Licenses.
- Review the users or devices you’ve selected and then select Release Licenses.