HDX 3D Pro
The HDX 3D Pro capabilities of Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops enable you to deliver desktops and applications that perform best using a graphics processing unit (GPU) for hardware acceleration. These applications include 3D professional graphics applications based on OpenGL and DirectX. The standard VDA supports GPU acceleration of DirectX only.
For the HDX 3D Pro policy settings, see Optimize for 3D graphics workload.
All supported Citrix Workspace apps can be used with 3D graphics. For best performance with complex 3D workloads, high-resolution monitors, multi-monitor configurations, and high frame rate applications, we recommend the latest versions of Citrix Workspace app for Windows and Citrix Workspace app for Linux. For more information on supported versions of Citrix Workspace app, see Lifecycle Milestones for Citrix Workspace app.
Examples of 3D professional applications include:
- Computer-aided design, manufacturing, and engineering (CAD/CAM/CAE) applications
- Geographical Information System (GIS) software
- Picture Archiving Communication System (PACS) for medical imaging
- Applications using the latest OpenGL, DirectX, NVIDIA CUDA, and OpenCL and WebGL versions
- Computationally intensive non-graphical applications that use NVIDIA Compute Unified Device Architecture (CUDA) GPUs for parallel computing
HDX 3D Pro provides the best user experience over any bandwidth:
On WAN connections: Deliver an interactive user experience over WAN connections with bandwidths as low as 1.5 Mbps.
On LAN connections: Deliver a user experience equivalent to that of a local desktop on LAN connections.
You can replace complex and expensive workstations with simpler user devices by moving the graphics processing into the data center for centralized management.
HDX 3D Pro provides GPU acceleration for Windows single-session OS machines and Windows multi-session OS machines. For more information, see GPU acceleration for Windows single-session OS and GPU acceleration for Windows multi-session OS.
HDX 3D Pro is compatible with GPU passthrough and GPU virtualization technologies offered by the following hypervisors, in addition to bare metal:
- Citrix Hypervisor
- GPU passthrough with NVIDIA GRID, AMD, and Intel GVT-d
- GPU virtualization with NVIDIA GRID, AMD, and Intel GVT-g
- See hardware compatibility at Hypervisor Hardware Compatibility List.
Use the HDX Monitor tool to validate the operation and configuration of HDX visualization technologies and to diagnose and troubleshoot HDX issues. To download the tool and learn more about it, see https://taas.citrix.com/hdx/download/.