About this release
This Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops release includes new versions of the Windows Virtual Delivery Agents (VDAs) and new versions of several core components. You can:
Install or upgrade a site
Use the ISO for this release to install or upgrade core components and VDAs. Installing or upgrading to the latest version allows you to use all of the latest features.
Install or upgrade VDAs in an existing Site
If you have a deployment, and aren’t ready to upgrade your core components, you can still use several of the latest HDX features by installing (or upgrading to) a new VDA. Upgrading only the VDAs is often helpful when you want to test enhancements in a non-production environment.
After upgrading your VDAs to this version (from version 7.9 or later), you do not need to update the machine catalog’s functional level. The 7.9 (or newer) value remains the default functional level, and is valid for this release. For more information, see VDA versions and functional levels.
- If you are building a new site, follow the sequence in Install and configure.
- If you are upgrading a site, see Upgrade a deployment.
Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops 7 1906
New product names and version numbers were introduced in Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops 7 1808. That information is retained in this article for reference. For more information, see New product names at the end of this article.
Universal Print Server server component
In earlier releases, when installing the UPS server component on your Windows print server, ports 7229 and 8080 were opened in the Windows firewall automatically. Now, the installer gives you the choice of having the installer open these ports automatically or skipping modifications to the Windows Firewall so that you can configure it manually. For details, see Install core components.
When using the command-line interface, you must include the
/enable_upsserver_port option to open those ports. For details, see Install using the command line.
Also, the Microsoft Visual C++ 2017 runtime is installed. The Visual C++ 2013 and 2015 runtimes are no longer installed.
Removal of Smart Tools agent
When installing a Delivery Controller or VDA, the Smart Tools agent is no longer installed.
- In the graphical interface, the Smart Tools page is now titled Diagnostics.
- In the command-line interface,
/exclude "Smart Tools Agent"is no longer valid when installing a Delivery Controller or a VDA. The
/includeadditional "Smart Tools Agent"option is no longer valid when installing a VDA.
Citrix Scout: Health checks and version check
You can now use Citrix Scout to run health checks on your Delivery Controllers and VDAs.
Also, when using the Collect or Trace & Reproduce features in Scout, a check is made to determine whether the Delivery Controllers and VDAs are running the latest version of the Citrix Telemetry Service. You are alerted if an earlier version is found, so that you can install the current version.
For details, see Citrix Scout.
Session Auto Reconnect
The Sessions page on the Trends tab now includes information about the number of auto reconnects. Auto reconnects are attempted when the Session Reliability or Auto Client Reconnect policies are in effect. The auto reconnect information helps you view and troubleshoot network connections having interruptions, and also analyze networks having a seamless experience.
The drilldown provides additional information like Session Reliability or Auto Client Reconnect, time stamps, Endpoint IP, and Endpoint Name of the machine where the Workspace app is installed. This feature is available for Citrix Workspace app for Windows, Citrix Workspace app for Mac, Citrix Receiver for Windows, and Citrix Receiver for Mac. This feature requires Delivery Controller version 7 1906 or later, and VDAs 1906 or later. For more information, see:
- Auto client reconnect policy settings
- Session reliability policy settings
- Session Auto Reconnect
Session startup duration
Director now displays the session startup duration divided into Workspace App Session Startup and VDA Session Startup time periods. This data helps you to understand and troubleshoot high session startup duration. Further, the time duration for each phase involved in the session startup helps in troubleshooting issues associated with individual phases. For example, if the Drive Mapping time is high, you can check if all the valid drives are mapped properly in the GPO or script. This feature is available on Delivery Controller version 7 1906 or later and VDAs 1903 or later. For more information, see Diagnose session startup issues.
This feature automates health checks of virtual desktops published in a Site, thereby improving the user experience. To initiate desktop probing, install and configure the Citrix Probe Agent on one or more endpoint machines. Desktop probing is available for Premium licensed Sites. This feature requires Delivery Controller(s) version 7 1906 or later and Citrix Probe Agent 1903 or later. For more information, see Desktop Probing.
Citrix Probe Agent now supports TLS 1.2.
Virtual Delivery Agents (VDAs) 1906
Version 1906 of the VDA for Windows Server OS and the VDA for Windows Desktop OS includes the following enhancements (in addition to the VDA installation and upgrade items listed above):
Legacy TWAIN enhancements
We made significant enhancements to the overall code quality to bring more stability and reliability to the legacy TWAIN feature.
New time zone control policy setting
The Restore desktop OS time zone on session disconnect or logoff policy setting specifies the time zone behavior when a user disconnects or logs off from a single session. For more information, see Restore desktop OS time zone on session disconnect or logoff.
Optimization for Microsoft Teams
Optimization for Microsoft Teams requires a minimum of Microsoft Teams version 1.2.00.31357.
We added optimization for desktop-based Microsoft Teams using Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops and Citrix Workspace app. Optimization for Microsoft Teams is similar to HDX RealTime Optimization for Microsoft Skype for Business. The difference is, we bundle all necessary components for optimization for Microsoft Teams into the VDA and the Workspace app for Windows. For more information, see Optimization for Microsoft Teams and Policies.
Support for Local Security Authority (LSA) protection
We now support the use of Local Security Authority (LSA) protection on a single-session desktop OS for explicit and Federated Authentication Service (FAS) authentication only. In Windows, you can configure extra protection for the LSA process to increase the security for the credentials that it stores and manages.
The Windows VDAs are localized in Dutch. For globalization information, see CTX119253.
Citrix Licensing 11.15
Citrix Federated Authentication Service PowerShell cmdlets
Several Federated Authentication Service (FAS) PowerShell cmdlets have been added in this release. These allow you to perform diagnostics on the FAS, and on any Certificate Authorities or hardware security modules (HSMs) the FAS uses.
The new cmdlets are:
For more information, see Federated Authentication Service cmdlets Reference.
New product names
If you’ve been a Citrix customer or partner for a while, you’ll notice new names in our products and in this product documentation. If you are new to this Citrix product, you might see different names for a product or component.
The new product and component names stem from the expanding Citrix portfolio and cloud strategy. Articles in this product documentation use the following names.
- Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops: Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops offers a virtual app and desktop solution, provided as a cloud service and as an on-premises product, giving employees the freedom to work from anywhere on any device while cutting IT costs. Deliver Windows, Linux, web, and SaaS applications or full virtual desktops from any cloud: public, on premises or hybrid. Virtual Apps and Desktops was formerly XenApp and XenDesktop.
- Citrix Workspace app: The Citrix Workspace app incorporates existing Citrix Receiver technology as well as the other Citrix Workspace client technologies. It has been enhanced to deliver additional capabilities to provide end users with a unified, contextual experience where they can interact with all the work apps, files, and devices they need to do their best work. For more information, see this blog post.
- Citrix SD-WAN: NetScaler SD-WAN, a crucial technology for our customers and partners transforming their branch networks and WANs with cloud technology, is now Citrix SD-WAN.
- Citrix Secure Web Gateway: As the Citrix Networking portfolio expands, we’re proud to offer our robust Citrix Secure Web Gateway service, previously known as NetScaler Secure Web Gateway.
- Citrix Gateway: Our robust NetScaler Unified Gateway, which allows secure, contextual access to the apps and data you need to do your best work, is now Citrix Gateway.
- Citrix Content Collaboration and Citrix Files for Windows: The advanced access, collaboration, workflows, rights management, and integration features of ShareFile are now available in the Citrix Content Collaboration component set in our secure, contextual, integrated Citrix Workspace. Citrix Files for Windows allows you to access your Content Collaboration files directly through a mapped drive, providing a native Windows Explorer experience.
- Citrix Hypervisor: The technology from XenServer for virtualization infrastructure, based on the XenProject hypervisor, is now Citrix Hypervisor.
Here’s a quick recap:
|Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops||XenApp and XenDesktop|
|Citrix Workspace app||Incorporates Citrix Receiver and extensive enhancements|
|Citrix SD-WAN||NetScaler SD-WAN|
|Citrix Secure Web Gateway||NetScaler Secure Web Gateway|
|Citrix Gateway||NetScaler Unified Gateway|
|Citrix Content Collaboration||ShareFile|
|Citrix Files for Windows||ShareFile Desktop App, ShareFile Sync, ShareFile Drive Mapper|
|Citrix Provisioning||Citrix Provisioning Services|
Implementing this transition in our products and their documentation is an ongoing process.
- In-product content might still contain former names. For example, you might see instances of earlier names in console text, messages, and directory/file names.
- It is possible that some items (such as commands and MSIs) might continue to retain their former names to prevent breaking existing customer scripts.
- Related product documentation and other resources (such as videos and blog posts) that are linked from this product’s documentation might still contain former names.
- For Citrix Hypervisor: The new name will be used on the Citrix website and in informational product materials from September 2018. You will also see the new name in the administrator consoles of some Citrix products, such as Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops. The XenServer product release and technical documentation materials will continue to use XenServer 7.x until early 2019.
Your patience during this transition is appreciated. For more detail about our new names, see https://www.citrix.com/about/citrix-product-guide/.
New product and component version numbers
In this release, product and component version numbers are displayed in the format: 7 YYMM.c.m.b.
- YYMM = Year and month when the product or component is planned for release. For example, a release planned for the first quarter of 2019 appears as 1903. The actual release date may vary.
- c = Citrix Cloud release number for the month.
- m = Maintenance version (if applicable).
- b = Build number. This field is shown only on the About page of the product, and in the OS’s feature for removing or changing programs.
For example, Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops 7 1809.1.0 indicates that the product released in September 2018, is associated with Citrix Cloud release 1 in that month, and is not a maintenance version. Some displays show only the version’s year and month: for example Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops 7 1809.
In earlier releases of this product (XenApp and XenDesktop 7.18 and earlier), version numbers were displayed in the format: 7.version, where the version value incremented by one for each release. For example, the release following 7.17 was 7.18. Those earlier releases will not be updated with the new numbering format.